Chapter 6

When Lulu reached the lighthouse, her stomach was in knots. It churned violently and she fell to her knees, heaving while the alcohol spilled onto the sand from her lips. Her body was left shuddering from the effort and tears burned her eyes. She slumped on the ground, resting her sweaty face on the cool sand.

After a minute, she straightened up, dusted herself off, and walked slowly up the rickety steps of the lighthouse. Her head was spinning when she reached the top, but the night's air helped clear her mind. She took off her shoes, as she had done when she was thirteen, and walked towards the balcony but stood just inside the watch room.

The moon shone iridescently upon the water and Lulu felt at peace for the first time today. She felt at home so close to the sea, and the memory of a thought flitted briefly through her head. This wasn't the first time she felt this way.

In the breeze she heard the boy's laughter again, the way he had giggled with her that night almost five years ago. She had been so prepared to jump, ready to leave this life behind and join the next one in the sea. Then he had shown up and they had spent the night laughing and crying but something had changed. Her resolve had dissolved so easily while he held her hand, walking through the town together.

She shook her head at the memory as the guilt began to creep into the pit of her stomach like it always did when she thought of that night. Something awful had happened to that boy and she didn't know if he even lived through the accident.

Suddenly, the peace she had felt earlier slipped away and was replaced by a darkness that fueled her bitter mood. Tonight had gone all wrong. Instead of spending the night with her, Matty had abandoned her for Gemma. Gemma was taking away the one person in this life who Lulu actually cared about enough to stick around for. Matty was her lifeline to this world and if it was severed, what was the point of staying? As much as she wanted to though, she couldn't hate Gemma.

Her problem with Zac was a different matter. The rage she felt towards him was completely inexplicable and tonight, she couldn't care less if she found a reason behind her animosity. It was enough to know that the person she was around him was someone she hated being. She had humiliated herself in front of him too many times in the last week and she had said awful things to him.

Tears of unadulterated anger threatened to fall and she struggled to breathe. She sat down on the floor of the lighthouse and gave in to her emotions, letting her sobs lull her into an uneasy sleep.

The sky was raging

The sky was raging. Lulu was standing upon the balcony, waiting for him to come get her. Her white dress was soaking from the rain and she could see below, the tide was rising as the storm worsened. Suddenly, the boy was beside her, holding her freezing hand. When she looked up, she couldn't focus on his face long enough to see him right. Like staring at the sun, she had to look away from him, and if she tried to look again, she would once more lose focus.

"Come with me," he whispered in her ear, sending shivers down her spine. He walked away and when she turned around he was gone. Instead, Matty was standing at the top of the stairs, stretching out his hands towards her. As she walked to him, his face morphed and in front of her stood Zachary. She took his hand but he wouldn't move. She tried pulling him forward, down the stairs, but his blind eyes were trained towards the balcony.