Chapter 22

The school gym was unrecognizable transformed into an enchanted forest, complete with sprawling trees and live mockingbirds in gilded cages serenading the arriving guests at the entrance. Twinkling fairy lights replaced the stars at night on the ceiling of the gym, which were scattered among the tree canopies.

Lulu and her friends made their way to a table near the doors but facing the DJ's booth where a synth-pop song began pulsing through the speakers, causing a cheer from the dancers already on the floor.
"Michael, let's dance!" Ava shouted over the music and grabbed her boyfriend's hand. His face was pleading as he looked on at Lulu and Matty but the two just laughed and let Ava take him away. Lulu felt giddy, and her face was flushed despite the cold creeping in through the open windows.

Someone screamed from the entrance, making her head snap towards the double doors which were now swinging madly, slamming against the walls as a frigid blast of air blew them open. A flurry of papers and decorations swirled around the ticket table and some of the volunteers scurried to pick up the mess. From her seat, Lulu could see Gemma and Liam running inside, covering their heads with their coats, shielding themselves from the rain that had begun to fall. Behind them, Zac walked unsteadily through the doors using his cane, his hair blowing wildly about his head. He was dressed simply, in an all-black tuxedo, and a black mask in place of his sunglasses, covering his scars. As he walked forward, he slipped on water and mud tracked in by the arriving students, nearly falling down. Instinctively, Lulu got up, nearly slipping on the water in her high heels, and held Zac's arm to steady him.

"I'm fine, Gemma," he said, sounding exasperated and a little embarrassed. He pulled his arm away from Lulu and adjusted his jacket.

"Actually, it's Lulu, and I'm sorry. I thought you were going to fall so I tried to help," she said sheepishly.

"Oh. Uh, thanks." He rubbed the back of his neck and turned away from her. "Listen, about yesterday—"

"Lulu," Matty interrupted. "Let's dance!" He steered her onto the dance floor as one of the more upbeat songs ended and a slow one started, making Lulu feel a little nervous as Matty wrapped his arms around her waist.

Lulu snuck a glance towards the entrance again and saw Zac walking towards a table with his cousin and Gemma, but no one else. Selene wasn't with him and Lulu found herself wondering if they were still together. Selene didn't seem the type of girl to venture into high school dances to begin with, but then again, neither did Zac and here he was. He looked handsome in his plain black tux, and it was definitely like him to not be bothered into donning a costume.

Liam on the other hand, wore a gladiator costume, complete with sword and helmet, and just as Ivy had said, Gemma wore a Romanesque dress. It looked lovely on her, Lulu begrudgingly admitted to herself.

 As the song came to a close and another ballad began, Liam and Gemma got up to dance leaving Zac behind

"Are you still not getting along with her?" Matty caught her staring.