Chapter 10

"Matty!" she said with a huge smile. His face was a mask of confusion as he registered what he saw before him. Tonight, she wasn't the same Lulu he was used to. This girl was more confident, more beautiful.

The smile that began to grow on his face gave her a shot of adrenaline and she boldly went up to him and hugged him tightly. Upon seeing Gemma walking up the stairs hurriedly, Lulu smiled wider and looked right at her while Matty hugged her back.

Gemma looked a little stunned at this display of affection, but Lulu and Matty had been friends for a long time, and there was no reason not to show how much they cared about each other.

Matty was the first to pull away, not noticing Gemma at all as she turned away and walked back down the stairs. He smiled fondly at Lulu and his warm hand lingered lightly on her bare back.

"You look beautiful," he said sincerely, but with some of the confusion still etched in his eyes. "Who are you trying to impress, huh?" he joked as they walked downstairs together.

Lulu felt electric. Lightning surged through her veins instead of blood. While they walked his hand guided her outside through the back door.

People were scattered outside in bunches, trying to stay warm but enjoying the crisp night air. The glass double doors allowed them to see inside and they could still hear some of the pounding music coming from inside.

They stopped to sit down on a brick flower bed surrounding an old maple tree. The branches were weighted with leaves of fierce red, and when they sat down, the leaves obscured the moonlight casting jagged shadows across their faces.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in years," she laughed. He did too, covering his face with his hands.

"It's only been a few days," he said through his hands. He hadn't been able to pick her up from school because he had started early morning tutoring in which he helped kids that were struggling in math.

"You know what I mean," she countered lightly.

He peeked an eye behind his hands and she grabbed them and brought them down to his lap. He pouted playfully at her and sighed. "I'm sorry I've been so busy," he looked at her from under his long lashes and she couldn't help smile.

They talked about how their week had gone. His dad was keeping him busy with work and they had moved on from Gemma's house onto other projects. Lulu couldn't help feeling a little relieved to know that he wasn't spending as much time with her as he had been.

She told him about her awkward meetings with Zac and Matty only nodded when she brought up her father's erratic behavior.

When her mother came up, he rested his hand on hers and she reveled in the touch. He never said anything, never gave her words of comfort, but she felt him take some of the load of her guilt and pain off her shoulders.

It felt so right to be sitting there with her Matty. He was warmth and comfort to her mind in chaos.

"I like your hair like that," he gestured. "I can see your eyes better," he smiled, tapping his finger on her nose playfully. Her heart beat furiously and she worried he could see it wanting to break free from its prison in her chest.

"Thought I'd try something different," she shrugged, trying to seem unaffected.

"You don't have to pretend. I know you did this for me and you're dying to tell me you love me," he sighed dramatically.

Ohcrapohcrapohcrap, she wanted to scream.

"I'm kidding, Lulu! You don't have to give me that look! I'm not that bad," he defended, pushing her shoulder lightly.