Chapter 28.1

She was screaming. Screaming so loud her throat felt like it would bleed. Screaming so loud the windows shattered around her and the foundation of the school shook and the building fell apart around her completely. So loud, yet nobody heard it. All they saw was a girl standing immobile in the middle of an almost empty hall.

Lulu felt a soft tug on her left elbow, lowering the hand that clutched at her empty chest. Ava.

"He didn't mean it, Lulu. He couldn't have," she promised emptily. How could she know? If Lulu didn't even know. She was oblivious. She knew nothing at all and never had. Matty hated her; his words like knives still echoing through her mind. You drain me and I can't be the person you run to anymore. And then, his promise: As long asI'm with you. Had it only been a few days since that day? Since he'd comeon horseback; prince charming decked out in blue, telling her she'd be safewith him, only to shut the door on her? 

Had she really been that selfish? Could she really have neglected him and thought only of what he could do for her? The thought was too painful to bear. Her knees buckled and she fell onto the cold floor. Ava rushed to her side putting her arms around her, but she didn't let her sink into the tiled floor. Instead she pushed her up and held her upright, fighting for her where Lulu's own body betrayed her.

"Please," was all Lulu could say through the fog of pain.

"We'll go to my house and everything will be okay. I promise." Lulu nodded mechanically and walked forward, Ava's arm still around her.

"Wait, Lulu," Zac's voice stopped her. She and Ava turned around to find Zac standing next to Liam, who was looking down, seeming completely enthralled by a small beetle walking across the windowpane.

"I'll wait outside, by my car, okay?" Ava didn't wait for Lulu's reply and left her with the two boys.

"I'll walk with you," Liam said to her. He whispered something in Zac's ear and when his cousin nodded, followed Ava down the hall and out of sight.

"I need to explain myself." Zac's hand was outstretched, as if reaching for her.

"How can you possibly justify what you have done? You have cost me my best friend, Zac. Haven't you done enough?"

He was shaking his head, clearly upset. "Lulu I did it for you. I know it sounds insane, but even after everything and the way I've behaved, it was always for your benefit.

She barked out an incredulous laugh. "My benefit?" She wanted to scream at him— shove him out the door like Matty had done.

"I know you love Matty and I knew he liked Gemma, but Liam liked her too so one day—I have her for a class you see—and so I was talking to her and I mentioned my cousin and I told her he really liked her and I guess I sort of planted the idea in their heads... I encouraged him to go after her, knowing full well she would fall, to give you a chance with Matty." Lulu stood there stunned. He took in a shaky breath while she held hers. Finally she found her voice.

"What do you care Zac? What's it to you if Matty loves me or not?"

"It's not my business and I shouldn't care. I know that, but I do, only because it's crazy to me that he doesn't see what I don't need eyes to see."

Later she would sit in the dark, thinking back on what he had just said, trying to decipher what he meant, but right now his words barely registered. She was furious with him and she couldn't be near him a second longer.

"Goodbye Zac."

"No, Lulu. Please let me make it up to you. I'm so sorry." He took a step towards her, and his gray eyes steady on her face, as if he could actually see her.