♤ Sixteen ♤

February 14th, 2017
My Dearest Diary,

I must first confess-- I am an imposter and your hiding spot is no longer safe. I find it fitting, however, that today is Saint Valentines Day and that just last night, you promised yourself to me. After reading a few of these pages, I am truly sorry for causing you so much pain, but make no mistake, Evelyn-- you are mine. Always and forever.

-Nik

My eyes snapped open, startling me out of sleep. Something was terribly wrong-- I was sure of it. At first, I ran to check on Hope, but she was sound asleep with Rebekah right by her side. Sighing heavily, I quietly exited the room. Maybe it had all been just a terrible dream.

But as I glanced down the hall, my palms began to itch and I hesitated as I stretched out my hand towards Evelyn's door. Things hadn't gone well since I'd brought her here-- what if she had decided to leave me again?

My heart sunk as I opened her door and almost immediately I felt enraged. Flashing over to her empty bed, I placed a hand on the sheets-- Damn it! They were cold. She had been gone for a while.

With clenched fists and a determined scowl, everyone stayed out of my way as I angrily stormed down the streets of the city. I quickened my pace as Evelyn's scent was growing stronger-- but the daft girl was heading right into a bad part of town.

"I'm not alone."

My ears pricked up as I rounded the corner and my body began trembling with rage.

"For your information, my husband will be here any minute now. And trust me, he won't be happy."

My fingers re-curled into a tighter fist, as the five vampires surrounding my precious Evelyn roared with laughter.

How dare they touch what is mine. I will wreak so much pain on their souls, they will regret the day they laid eyes on her!

No.

They will regret the day they were born.

Suddenly I lunged forward, quickly disposing of the four vampires closeset to me. I had expected the last one to run and cower in fear but much to my disappointment, he did not.

"I really wasn't looking forward to sharing anyways," he shrugged.

I wanted to torture him-- make him question his very existence. But as he tilted Evie's head to the side, I knew I needed to act fast. As my hand tore through his ribcage, my fingers tightened around his heart and his disgusting hands fell from my mate. The claws of my hybrid extended, slashing through the neck of the vile creature before he dropped to the ground in a heap.

My darling Evelyn stood paralyzed in fear, and I was torn between comforting her or scolding her for running out in the first place. Suddenly she rushed forward, throwing her arms around me and sobbing into my chest. As she trembled against me, my anger melted away and I found my arms wrapping around her in a strong embrace.

"C'mon, Love," I whispered as I lifted her up into my arms, "let's go home."

I cradled her head against me as I flashed off at vampire speed back to the house. Instead of taking her back into her room though, I brought her into mine and sat her down on the bed. Whether she liked it or not, she would not be leaving my sight again.

"Thanks for saving me," she mumbled before hoping off the bed.

"And where do you think you're going?" I asked her as she headed towards the bedroom door.

"Back to my room," she replied. "I'm feeling rather tired all of a sudden."

I narrowed my eyes at her as she pretended to stifle a fake yawn.