Chapter Six

With Ace seated before his team in the Ravenclaw Common room, the captain began his spiel of what he expected during the upcoming practices and matches. However, while the captain was wide awake and encouraging, his team....not so much.

"Melanie, quit sleeping."

"Ace, quit talking," Melanie groaned from where she rested her head against her teammate Brandon's shoulder. "Do you realize how early it is? You could have at least held the meeting after classes! I'm still digesting last night's dinner here. The birds haven't even begun to sing to welcome the morning."

"Look, I want to get a good head start on all of this. All the captains are out for blood this year."

"Well, why don't you and all the other captains gather in the courtyard and smack each other around until you get the blood you want."

The team snickered as Ace rolled his eyes.

"We Ravenclaws are known for our strategy and that strategy doesn't come from sitting on our arses," Ace said.

"Uh yes it does," Melanie countered. "We're always sitting while you come up with plays and then we sit on our brooms to practice. That sounds like sitting on our arses to me."

"Do you want to win the quidditch cup this year, Mel?"

"I want to sleep," Melanie answered crashing back.

"You know what would make quidditch much more exciting?" Melanie said to Andy as they sat at breakfast that morning.

"If everyone played shirtless," Andy said.

"Not the route I was going down, but interesting. I'll keep that in mind. I was going to say if the bludgers were on fire...that would be great," Melanie replied.

"Dangerous, yet exhilarating," Andy agreed. "Now to make it even more exciting. Shirtless quidditch with flaming bludgers."

"That sounded weird on so many levels. We're going to be institutionalized," Melanie laughed.

"At least we'll be together."

"Until the very end, my friend," Melanie grinned at her.

They were laughing together when someone approached them.

"Carter-bean!" Melanie greeted her brother.

"Don't go screaming that out loud!" Carter said glancing around.

"Calm yourself, Carter, hardly anyone is awake right now. I'm surprised to see you up right now."

"Well, I didn't sleep very well," he said sitting beside her.

"Everything okay?"

"These beds aren't as comfortable as my bed at home."

"Poor Carter," Melanie pouted at him before pinching his cheek.

"Quit it!" Carter smacked her hand away. "Am I going to get in trouble for sitting over here with you?"

Andy chuckled and shook her head. "No, Carter, you're welcome to sit at other tables, it's only during dinner that you have to stick to your table. It's encouraged to sit otherwise during breakfast and lunch."

"Why's that?"

"To reduce house prejudices," Melanie answered.

"House prejudices?"

"Yeah, they want all four houses to love and respect each other. Fat chance of that happening."

"Why's that?" Carter questioned.

"It's always been like that Carter, everyone believes their house is the best and if someone says otherwise welcome to the fight. You'll see once you develop house pride, it's all over."

"Does that mean we can't be seen talking?"

"Oh Carter, you're so gullible sometimes," Melanie said ruffling his hair. "I'm teasing you again. There's a few people that think their house is the best house and that all the others are bunch of snozzberries...but no one really likes those type of people. You'll make friends in all houses."

"Just like how you've made friends in Gryffindor," Carter said.

"Exactly."

"I was being sarcastic."

"I was not."

Carter made himself a plate before turning back to her.

"You know he hates me, right?"

"Who?" Melanie asked with a mouthful of bacon.

"Your best friend, Ollie Bear."

"Well, if you're calling him that then yeah, he probably hates you," Melanie said.

"No, I haven't said a word to the boy and already you'd think I took a poo in his shoe."

"You should do it," Andy said.

"What?! Why would I do such a thing?"

"Well, he already hates you, doesn't he? You should give him a real reason to."

"You two are the worst role models in existence," Carter said.

"We never claimed to be good ones, darling," Andy smiled sweetly at him.

"Yes, and trust me, there are much worse ones."

"I believe it when I meet them."

Melanie walked into the Charms classroom with Andy right behind her, and greeted Professor Flitwick.

"Hello Miss Anderson and Miss Wells, I hope you two had a nice summer."

"I did," Melanie said.

"If you count a taking care of your bigot grandmother nice, then yes," Andy answered the man.

He only smiled and invited them to take their seats.

Ravenclaw and Gryffindor students took their seats waiting for everyone to arrive so they could start the class. Professor Flitwick was preparing to start the lecture when the last remaining student ran in a couple of minutes late.

Oliver glanced around hoping for one open seat, and of course there was one, but not where he wanted it to be. He looked to Todd who shot him an apologetic face, before he turned back to Melanie who patted the seat beside her.

"Mornin' Wood," she winked at him.