Chapter Thirty Six

With Carter walking off completely confused and flustered, Ace was left alone in the corridor, around the corner from where Todd and Oliver sat. He had no idea what to do, he couldn't simply just walk over and some part of him wanted to go speak with Melanie. He didn't want her to witness the two kissing because it would probably break the poor girl's heart. 

Ace was stuck unsure of what to do. He knew if it had been him in Melanie's situation, he would certainly like to know if the boy he liked was kissing another boy after going on a date, but how was he supposed to tell her? He also didn't want Melanie upset on Valentine's Day either because while it was one day out of the year, for her to finally get the date she had been long after and for it to turn to nothing, he would hate to see her expression.

"What do I do? What do I do?"

"Hey Ace!" The boy jumped and turned to see Brandon.

"Brandon, what are you doing here?"

"I'm heading to dinner...I thought that was obvious. Jenna and Andy won't let me back into the tower yet so I figured I'd head here a little earlier."

"Jenna and Andy...is Mel with them?"

"Yeah, she got back from her date a little while ago. Why?" Brandon asked about to round the corner but suddenly Ace grabbed him by the back of his shirt and held him back.

Brandon squeaked as he hit the wall.

"Ow Ace, what the bloody hell is your problem!"

"Shhh!" Ace placed his hand over Brandon's mouth but the boy quickly pushed it away.

"Whoa Ace easy there, I don't fly my broomstick in that direction-"

Ace rolled his eyes. "Shut up, Brandon. Please. Just peek around the corner and tell me what you see."

"Why are you all acting so weird today!" Brandon huffed before following Ace's instructions and looking around the corner. Suddenly, he gasped and pressed his back against the wall. "Merlin's hairy nipple! What's going on!?"

"Shhh! And I don't know. I just discovered this a few minutes ago with Carter!"

"Wow!" Brandon said pushing back his hair. "This is...this is...I don't know what to say. I feel like I should be happy but then again...what about Melanie?"

Ace shrugged. "I don't know, I don't know what to do. What should I do?"

"What? You want me to tell you what to do?"

"Yes!" Ace grabbed the boy's shoulders and shook him. "Tell me!"

"Okay okay, first thing I'm going to tell you is to stop shaking me. I can't see straight. Second, take your hands off of me before people get the wrong ideas about us. I love you, mate, but not in that way and lastly, we need to tell Mel."

"Right now."

"Right now."

"But it'll hurt her so bad-"

"It'll hurt her even more if she finds out you knew and didn't tell her sooner. And like Jenna, I'm pretty sure Melanie isn't the type to hold back a punch if she's upset with you."

"I guess  you're right." Ace sighed. "I just wish I wasn't the one who had to tell her."

"Technically, Oliver should be the one to tell her. I mean he definitely should have informed her if he was into wands....it's a good thing to know before you decide to go on a date with someone."

"Yes I agree but...I really don't want to tell Melanie right now."

"Tell me what?" 

The two screamed slightly and turned to see Melanie looking at the two wide eyed with Jenna and Andy trailing behind her.

"Look Brandon, it's Melanie!" Ace pointed at her in a panicky state.

"I can see that Ace...pull yourself together, man." Brandon whispered the latter part.

"What are you two up to?" Melanie asked them. 

"Nothing!" the two said together.

"Alrighty then, are you guys headed to dinner...I'm actually really hungry, I burned through all those sweets walking around today, I actually want some real food."

"Yes!" Jenna said throwing her fist in the air triumphantly. "It's potato binge night!"

"You don't even know if they're serving potatoes tonight." Andy told her.

"They better be serving potatoes if they know what's good for them."

"Well, let's go see shall we?" Melanie said ready to go around the corner but Ace grabbed her.

"Wait! Don't..."

Melanie nearly stumbled back. "Ace, what has gotten into you?" she questioned looking at him.

"I...I don't know how to tell you this." Ace said.

Andy and Jenna exchanged looks before looking to Brandon to figure out what was going on. Brandon walked over and whispered into Jenna's ear before Jenna then whispered into Andy's ear.

"Ace, hello?" 

"I don't want you upset, Mel."

"Why would I be upset?"

"Because well..." he sighed and directed her around the corner. "Because of that."

"Because Peeves is dancing outside the Great Hall?" Melanie said. "But he's normally doing something like that."

"What!?No, I meant-" Ace looked up to see Oliver and Todd were gone. He clapped his hand over his face. "Ugh."

"Ace can you just tell me what's going on? I promise I won't be upset."

"But you will be. You can't promise me you won't be upset."

"Just tell me...it's fine."

Brandon gave Ace an encouraging nod.

Ace took a deep breath. "I saw Oliver kissing Todd."

He watched as Melanie's eyes went wide and her lips parted slightly, she was completely stunned.

"I'm so sorry Mel...I..."

"Are you sure of what you saw?" she asked him softly.

"Yes. Carter and I both saw it...and saw did Brandon."

Melanie turned to Brandon who nodded his again rapidly.

"Wow." she said placing her hand on her forehead.

"I know this isn't what you want but-"

"This is great!' Melanie cried out happily.

"Wait what?!