Chapter Thirty Two

Melanie had a stack of  desserts in her hands and arms, ready to return back to her seat when she saw Oliver approaching her.

"Uh hey...Melanie...that's a lot of sweets you got there." he said his eyes fixated on the biscuits and pastries she had collected.

"I know..it's great isn't it? It's like a never ending supply of deliciousness at the tables right now. I love Valentine's Day for this reason. What's up with you, Ollie Bean?"

"Oh...nothing much. I umm.. actually I came over here to speak with you."

"And here we are. Mission accomplished, huh?" she said with a smile.

"Right." he scratched under his chin slightly before turning around to look where Todd and Ace were standing, both of them giving him encouraging nods.

"Are you okay?" Melanie asked giving him a look.

"I'm fine.. so do you have any plans today?"

"Not really." she said with a hopeful rise in her chest. "Why?"

"Well, I was wondering if you weren't busy if you'd like to go to Hogsmeade with me...on..on a...you know... a date?"

"Really?" her eyes widened, she wasn't sure if all the sugar she had consumed prior to Oliver approaching her was causing some odd hallucination.

"Yeah, but that's only if you want. I don't want to force you to go-"

"You couldn't force me even if you tried." she chuckled. "Sure, I'll go with you to Hogsmeade."

"Yeah?" he smiled.

"Yeah." she nodded.

"Oh well great, when do you want to go I understand this is all last minute." he said.

"I'm ready when you are."

"But what about all the stuff in your hands?"

"I'll eat it on the way there."

"All of that?"

"Don't underestimate me when it comes to sweets, Wood."

"I'll be sure not to from now on."

Ace returned back to his seat across from Andy as the two watched Melanie leave the Great Hall with Oliver talking about something they couldn't quite hear.

Andy looked to Ace with a small smile. "Did you tell him to ask her on a date?"

"I didn't tell him...I only hinted at the idea." Ace said.

"But why Ace? Why are you helping him...when you..."

"I don't expect you to understand, Andy." Ace told her. "I know that you want what's best for Melanie and trust me I want that too. And while you may not think that Oliver is best for her, right now, she does. She likes him  and while it may or may not work out, I'm not going to be the one to try to make things complicated for her. That wouldn't fair to her.'

Andy nodded her head realizing that he was right, even if she didn't like it. " Can I ask you something Ace?"

"Of course."

"How  long have you liked Melanie?" she asked him.

Ace looked down at the table. "I..." he sighed, " for awhile now."

"Awhile," she repeated, " so why didn't you ever say anything?"

"Because it just wasn't the right time."