Chapter Eighteen

"He didn't even know what he was apologizing for. He just wanted people to stop being angry with him," Melanie told Andy and Ace as they sat in the Ravenclaw Common Room.

Madam Pomfrey was excellent at what she did so Melanie's arm was healed in no time and she was released from the Hospital Wing. Her interaction with Oliver had left Melanie more confused than before as it seemed the more obvious she made her crush on Oliver known, the denser the boy became.

She sat on the floor before Andy and Ace that occupied the sofa listening to her as she told them of the interaction she had with Oliver while she was still in the Hospital wing.

"I swear he's so lucky it's still illegal to strangle people!" Andy said. "Because I'm honestly getting so close to just punching him in the head. Perhaps it'll knock some sense into him."

"I don't know, a bludger didn't do it," Ace said. "I doubt anything else will. I don't know, Mel, maybe it is a good idea to give up your pursuit on him. I mean do you really want to be with someone so stupid?"

Melanie leaned against the base of the sofa and shrugged her shoulders. "He's stupid in some ways, but...I don't know."

"I know you think he's cute and all, Mel..," Andy told her, "but being realistic here-"

"It's not just because he's cute, although that certainly helps. I don't know, there's just something about him, it's hard to explain, but just talking to him puts me in a better mood, even if he is a total idiot. I kinda like that about it. He's frustrating but I like it."

Melanie threw her head back and rested it against Ace's knee. "Maybe there's something wrong with me?"

Ace looked down at her with a kind smile and rested his hand upon her head.

"There's nothing wrong with you, Mel. At least, not when it comes to this. This is Oliver being stupid and not picking up on the most obvious, but if he keeps going like this...I wouldn't bother wasting my time any longer. Besides, I think you're too good for him."

Melanie laughed.

"Don't laugh!" Andy said smacking Melanie's forehead. "It's true. You are too good for him. Oliver should be flattered that someone in your league actually looks his way."

Oliver sat in Charms in the seat that was besides Melanie's normal seat. He needed to talk to Melanie after their meeting in the Hospital Wing because even though he apologized for whatever, everyone still seemed to view him as public enemy number one and he had no clue why. Even Todd barely spoke to him and the Ravenclaws looked about ready to claw out his throat anytime they passed him in the corridors.

Luckily, Melanie arrived early for class, looking healed and rested. She seemed surprised that he was there already and in his seat. She walked over and sat beside him, but didn't bother with the silly nickname greeting. In fact, she didn't greet him at all as she got her parchment paper and quill ready for Flitwick's lesson.

He waited for her to say something, but as she sat down, she looked straight forward acting as if he wasn't in the room. Shortly after, her friend Andy came in and sat beside her and the two began discussing the upcoming Hogsmeade trip.

Knowing it wouldn't do him well to interrupt their conversation he remained silent and told himself that he would speak with Melanie after the lesson.

Melanie grabbed her things after class was dismissed later on, hoping she could get out of there before Oliver stopped her. She could sense he had something to say but she didn't want to hear any of it. She wasn't in the mood to hear him.

"Melanie, wait!" She rolled her eyes and turned around to face the body.

"What do you want?"

"Can we just talk for a second?"

"One," she said before trying to walk out of the classroom.

"No, no!" He jumped in front of her. "I really just want to talk to you, please?"

Melanie made a face. "Fine. Go ahead."

Andy reached her side but Melanie to go on and that she would catch up as they left the classroom and stood outside.

"What?" she asked turning to him and folding her arms.

"Everyone seems to be mad at me."

"Glad to see you're able to pick up on some emotions, Ollie."

"Let me finish," he said. "Look, I don't want everyone to be mad at me, but I don't want you mad at me most of all."

"Why's that?"

Oliver scratched his forehead. " I...I don't know. But I know I probably did something stupid without realizing it. "

"Good guess."

"Can you just tell me what I did wrong?"

Melanie looked at him and sighed. "You didn't do anything wrong, Ollie Bear."

"Oh?"

"You're just incredibly stupid."

"I think the term is bludger brain?" he said with a hopeful smile.

"I don't think this is fair to blame on a bludger. I think this is all you."

"I'll agree to that."

"You're just agreeing so that I don't stay mad at you."

"Is it working?"

Melanie looked down at her feet to hide her smile. "Maybe."

"Un..freaking...believable," Andy shook her head as she stood down the hall next to Ace and Jenna. "He smiles at her and magically everything is better. I don't get it."

"That's because there is nothing to get," Ace told her. "The heart works in mysterious ways," he said softly.

Jenna looked back and forth between the two.

"I don't know if we're supposed to be happy about this or not."