Chapter Twenty One

Melanie wrapped the cushioned wrap underneath her new quidditch gloves. It had been poor decision making to decide that the first match for Ravenclaw that she would break in her new gloves that she had bought at Hogsmeade.

"I swear if you wrap that thing one more time..," Andy said looking at her.

Melanie grinned. "Sorry Andy but I have to make sure that they are comfortable or I'm going to be a mess out there fumbling with these damn things."

"Why don't you let Ace wrap them for you, he's a pro at it."

Melanie took a second to point out the quidditch captain who was talking to the team's beaters frantically.

"Right now, Ace is on the crazy train and I'm not about to board that myself," she said getting frustrated as the wrapping had become too tight. "I swear to Merlin, this was probably the dumbest idea I've ever had."

"I wouldn't say the dumbest but close to it," Andy chuckled.

Glancing down the table, Melanie took notice that Jenna wasn't at the table yet.

"Where's Jenna?" she asked Andy.

Andy focused on the egg on her plate. "Dunno," she answered simply.

Anytime Melanie tried to direct the conversation towards the possibility of Andy and Jenna being an actual couple, Andy gave one word responses and little to no information pertaining to the subject.

"Alright then."

"I haven't seen you talk with Oliver much...actually I haven't seen you talk to him in awhile," Andy said changing the subject once again.

Melanie shrugged her shoulders. "I guess there hasn't been much to talk about."

"Do you still like him?"

Melanie set her gloved hand down and turned to Andy. "Why are we suddenly on the Oliver subject now?"

"I'm just asking. The fact of the matter is, you and Ace seemed to have gotten really close over the last couple of weeks."

"What are you talking about? Ace and I have always been close."

"But do you see him as a brother type close?"

"Well, seeing as I have one brother already and I certainly don't need another...not really."

"Which means that he's still available in your head."

"No it doesn't," Melanie laughed. "I mean..it doesn't..just because I don't see him as my brother doesn't mean I see him as my boyfriend either."

Andy sighed.

"What has gotten into you, Andy? You seem rather upset now."

"I'm just wondering how long you're going to chase after Wood when he's not doing anything for you."

"What do you mean?"

"What I'm saying is, I'm just starting to think you're wasting your time. You don't even know Oliver that well if I'm being honest. Besides the teasing and the quidditch, it's not like you two have spent a good amount of time together. But then you have Ace, who's been there for you since you started on the quidditch team your second year. He's always been nice and you have to admit, he's really good looking."

"Are you seriously trying to get me to date Ace right now? He's standing right over there and you're playing matchmaker," Melanie shook her head in amusement.

"Yes I am, because as your best friend I'm supposed to look out for you. We're supposed to point out what we think is best for each other. You've always been there for me, especially when it came to my parents and stuff so I'm just trying to do the same for you. You've been after Oliver for awhile now and nothing has changed. Except for the fact that you got hurt this year...when have you ever let yourself be hit by a bludger-"

"There have been a couple of time-"

"During practice?"

"Never," Melanie admitted.

"See what I mean. I don't know. I love you Melbear, you're like my sister so I want to make sure you're happy and I don't think Oliver can make you happy."

Melanie looked up from her hands to Ace who was standing across the table rubbing his forehead. He turned around from the beaters and looked to her before flashing her a smile.

She smiled in return.

"And it's over for you," Todd said before taking a spoon of his meal as Oliver sat next to him that morning in the Great Hall.

"What do you mean?" Oliver asked.

"Did you not just witness the little exchange between Mel and Ace? I figured you would have seen it since you've been staring in her direction since we got here."

"I have not."

"Don't lie to me, Oliver. You're horrible at it," Todd told him. "And it also hurts my feelings."

Oliver gave him a strange look until Todd started laughing.

"I was joking about the last part but really Oliver, you can't lie."

"Alright, whatever I was looking over there. So what?"

"So what? This is exactly what I was talking about! Now that she's not showing interest in you, you're suddenly interested in her."

"But-"

"You better fix this Oliver, because right now, it looks like another quidditch captain is about to take your place."

"How do I fix it?!"

Todd rubbed his chin for a moment in deep thought.

"I got it."

Melanie listened to Ace's quick pep talk that he gave to the team usually at breakfast once Jenna arrived. Normally, he just encouraged everyone to play their best and if they did it was good enough for him, even if they lost. But he wanted to win, he made that quite clear. Their first match was up against Hufflepuff and while most people counted the Hufflepuffs out, Melanie had known them to show their badger side while playing.

When he finished his little talk, Ace had everyone head to the pitch. Melanie told Andy she would see her after the game and arose to leave the Great Hall. She followed Ace who was going over some of his formations when they were stopped by Oliver by the doors.

Ace gave Oliver a weird look before turning to Melanie, who looked just as confused as he was.

"Can I talk to you for a moment?" Oliver asked her. "Uh..alone."

Ace waited for Melanie's confirmation that she would be okay.

"Uh yeah, sure. I'll catch up Ace, I swear."

"Alright, don't take too long, we have a match!"

Melanie faced Oliver with a questioning look.

"What do you want, Oliver Twist?"

"I uh...," Oliver scratched the side of his face for a few seconds before glancing over at the Gryffindor Table. Todd nodded his head in encouragement.

"I have to get going-"

"I wanted to wish you good luck on your match today."

"You? You wanted to wish me good luck?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"What do you mean why?!"

"Look, Ollie, I really should be-" she went to leave when suddenly Oliver leaned forward and kissed her on the cheek.

He quickly went to return to his house table. "Good luck!"

Now Melanie was confused as she headed to the Quidditch Pitch for the match.

"I need everyone to stop playing with my emotions like it's a damn quaffle!"