Chapter 8

Chapter 8

The next morning Tori was awakened by a bowl of water being dumped over her head. "What the hell?" She asked rolling over to see who the perpetrators were.

"About bloody time." Fred said setting the bowl on the nightstand. "We've been trying to get you up for over an hour. We were going to set fire to the kitchen next."

"I've been waking you all up at four in the morning. Why did you not take advantage of a chance to sleep in?"

"Yes, why couldn't we do that?" Ron asked from the doorway.

Tori raised an eyebrow. "What's the matter Ron? Scared of something?"

"Just figured it would be better if I wasn't killed because my brother thought it would be a good idea to pour water on you."

Hermione came down the hall. "Oh good. You finally got her up."

"I'm awake, not up. I could just as easily roll back over and go back to sleep."

"But you won't because we have a lot of work to do."

"We do?"

"You have a lot of catching up to do."

"Hermione, I don't do magic."

"You have it in you, I know you do."

"Last time I checked I didn't get an owl at my window when I turned eleven."

"It was probably part of Dumbledore's plan. To have you be a secret weapon when we need it most."

"Glad to know I was only ever going to be tracked down when I proved to be useful. That doesn't change the fact that I simply refuse to do magic."

"Why not?"

"Because dearie, magic always comes with a price."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "This is not that show you watch. This is reality."

"Yes and reality dictates that magic is not real."

"You know by now that it is."

"Yes, but I won't do it."

"Would you just stop talking in circles and just tell me why you won't even try." Hermione burst out.

Tori sighed and stood up. "I'm finally normal. I would like to stay that way for more than nine months."

"There's no way it can just be that."

Everyone else came to see what all the fuss was about. "Just drop it Hermione." Draco warned.

"You said yourself Draco that she can do it she just needs to believe it."

"It was an idea. I don't know if it's absolutely certain."

Tori shook her head. "I believe it's real. I believe I could potentially do it. I'm just never going to actually do it."

"Why are you suddenly acting like a coward?" Hermione covered her mouth the moment her words registered in her mind.

Tori gave a twisted smile. "Come on girl genius. Figure it out. Running is what I do best. These days I run into situations most people run away from. I got her by running to a different country. I spent most of my life running away from people who didn't want me around. And this right here is more running. Whether or not I can do magic is not a debate. It is absolute certainty. I can do magic. I just refuse to ever use it again. It cost the one good home I had."

She left them in stunned silence.

After about forty seconds the silence was broken by a knock on the door. Tori answered without checking to see who was at the door. She opened it a bit saw who it was and slammed the door shut. Tried to anyway. The man at the door swung his walking stick into the doorway to prevent the door from closing. "Now is that any way to greet your father?"

"As if my morning couldn't get any worse."