hurricane jones [7]

[Wyatt's shots; Still Into You by Paramore]
word count: 2150

-
Dalton Jones, although he looked fit, was quite uncoordinated and just as heavy.

The Australian boy was pretty much the definition of a contradiction. With his slim jawline and slightly scrawny wrists, you'd have assumed he weighted just a little more than me but honestly, I felt my knees buckling beneath me. The first time I'd carried Dalton, Quinn was there to help me but due to the fact that she refused to go into the boy's bathroom with instructions to 'get him out the dang dunny,' I had to brave this mission on my own.

I hadn't seen him that morning on the bus, Quinn having to sit beside me and I'd wondered when he'd get in trouble for truancy... Of course, he hadn't seemed that off when I'd seen him at lunch and I wasn't affected by the fact that he'd shown up, maybe he'd just come in late. Now, it was more of how I'd be preventing the Aussie boy from getting in trouble for drugs considering the fact that they hadn't legalized marijuana in the peach state. 

I often wondered why I was so nice considering my brother's were absolutely vile and if it were me in that stall, I'd be fending for myself. Of course, I had no life nor friends that were so bad in the influence department or rather friends of any kind.

I had to get a hobby, one that didn't include looking after boys that were obviously no good.

"Dalton?" I'd called out, knocking twice on the only stall that was closed -the handicapped stall-, my eyes shutting with the annoyance in his voice. He'd spat his reply, it ricocheting off the walls and I'd tried my best to keep my cool.

"What?"

"Open the stall, you're gonna get in trouble if they find you." And he would, everyone at this school were rather pristine and polished, always ready to tell administrators... If he wasn't found by them, the stoners would've had more to contribute and as rude as he'd been to me, I couldn't let him go down that path.

He groaned, unlocking the stall as if he'd had no more energy to argue against me and when I'd pushed back open the door, he'd had his butt on the ground and his head tilted upwards, Adam's apple bobbing whenever he'd swallowed back air. There was a way about him with his goofy smile and disheveled hair yet he still looked insanely attractive and even more wrecked. His normally cold blue eyes had a brightness despite the bloodshot and the red-hot on his cheeks. "I'm attempting to not let you get expelled, thank me later." I'd said through my checking him out and settled for sitting down on the ground beside him and pulling my knees to my chest.

Picking at the hole in my jeans, I'd sucked in a breath attempting to coax him into just following me out so I didn't have to deal with or really talk to him. He'd surprised me when his head rested gently on my shoulder, the scent of Vincent's room on a Friday night engulfing my nose and I had to stop myself from flinching back.

"Uh..."

Dalton didn't seem to be fazed, "why are you helping me, mate?"

Honestly, I didn't know. I'd convinced myself that it was to get Quinn off my case but if we were being 100%, I didn't really need Quinn as a friend. I'd done well without friends for a long time. The only friend is ever had was a gangly, curly-haired, dark-skinned boy named Freddy that had showed up in August of sixth grade and disappeared in September. He was a nice kid who'd given me my first kiss and moved God knows where in the middle of Utah because his dad was afraid he'd 'catch the gay.'

Safe to say, friends weren't really my forte.

When he'd noticed I didn't intend to reply, Dalton chuckled unlike his other chuckles. This one wasn't bitter as he lent upwards and effectively moved closer to me and he smiled that crooked half-smile. "You know, I lied, you're really cute."