Powerstruggle

" My duty as Timekeeper is to ensure that no human can tamper with it." My father said while we sat in mid space. " "My brother Thanatos's job is to make sure no mortal can live forever. Both of us keep the two cosmic powers balanced thereby preventing the universe from collapsing.
"Have you ever tried stealing Time's power?"
Kairos frowned, turning away from me.
" I've never attempted to, I have no doubt that I could, but there's no telling what could happen. To have all that power and not want to rule Earth is a naïve supposition."
"So the two of you don't rule?"
"No, but Thanatos has tried to many times. Each time he has grown in power, increasing the death count of humankind. By tampering with death, he gives mankind the tools which they think will prolong life; the advent of the A-bomb, and other weapons of destruction are used to stop seemingly endless death in war. Every war fought on Earth has been the cause of hundreds of deaths, Thanatos is the cause of that, but I am also responsible."
I wanted to interrupt my dad, and ask him why any of this mattered to me, and if Lucas was a part of any of this, but I also wanted to hear the whole story. After a minute, the lord of Time finally continued.
" There were times when I could have stopped Thanatos by tampering with Time funnel, by doing this, I could have stopped time, thereby stopping the massacres on Earth, but I was afraid of being corrupted by the power. Then, over 16 years ago, Thanatos stole power again."
"Wait," I had to interrupt this time.
"What keeps Thanatos from taking all of Death's power? Couldn't he take all that power and leave this galaxy?"
"No, He can only take that power during great cosmic events, like the aligning of the planets, or the arrival of what the Earthling's call Halley's comet. These disturbances give us the chance to temporarily walk on Earth, leave the funnels which stay stable during these times, or tamper with the funnels. The effects of the tampering can take centuries to effect the Earth, but the effects always cost lives. With the introduction of time travel, the world was almost destroyed, even now it is destabilizing, eventually it will become uninhabitable for humans."
"How can we stop this," I ask.
"I must kill Thanatos, and you must take my place."