Aurelia

Another night of Angeline screaming passed by. I could tell I had already gotten a little used to it because I was able to fall asleep for a short time. This morning, I was up and ready waiting for Charlotte to get me for breakfast. She came not but five minutes later, and I gladly walked myself there.

I had made a promise to myself that if I could refrain from pleasuring myself publicly, I would do it in the privacy of the bathroom. Maybe I could get away with it there, I thought. I loaded my tray up with various fruits and got a glass of orange juice. When I went to sit at my table, I noticed there was a girl there. She was sitting by herself.

Someone like me, perhaps? I sat across from her. She looked frightened. Maybe she thought I was insane, like the others.

"Hello, I'm Caroline. You don't have to worry, I'm coherent enough to not act like those animals," I pointed to the table of women that always flung their food around. This made her laugh a little.

"I'm Aurelia," she said quietly.

"When did you get here, Aurelia?" I asked as I began to eat.

"Possibly an hour or two ago," she pauses, "When did you get here?"

"This is my third day here. It seems as though they bring new people in during meal times. I came here during dinner," I said, trying to make conversation. She just sat quietly. I could tell she was scared and she had every right to be. "Did they assign you a room?"

"Yes, I'm in room 14," she says.

"That's right across the hall from me! I'm in room thirteen!" I couldn't have been more excited.

"You can show me where my room is then! They told me to ask someone. They took all my luggage, by the way. Is that normal?" She looked deeply concerned.

"Yes, they take your luggage and go through it all to see what you can and can't have while you're in here. You'll get it all back when you're discharged," I thought about the day I arrived. She clearly wasn't met by George upon her arrival or else she would have know this. "Who brought you here?"

"My father," she looked away as if she was ashamed of something.

"Huh, my father is the reason I'm here too. Who was the person that took your luggage?" I asked.

"Some older woman; I forgot her name," she replied.

"I don't think I've had this misfortune of meeting her. George is the one who brought me here. He was very polite and informative," I take another bit of fruit, "Come to think of it, I haven't seen him since I've been here. If I do ever see him, I'll introduce you to him. So far, the only decent people I've met are Charlotte, the nurse, and George."

"I met the head Doctor. He seems very nice," she added.

"He can be," is all I cared to say about that. "Come on, I'll show you to your room. We have to be quick because it's time to go to the common area now."

"Here's your room. This is mine," I point to the room across the hallway. "If you ever need anything, now you know where to get me." I went to her dresser and pulled the gown and slippers out and handed them to her. "Change into these." I stepped outside so that she could change. Once she was finished, she met me in the hallway and I guided her to the common area.

The others had already claimed all the games. I took a seat on the couch I hid behind yesterday. Aurelia sat beside me.

"If we got here early enough, there are board games we could play. I know it can get kind of boring not doing anything," I told her.

"I'm alright just talking here. I will admit that I'm kind of nervous since it's my first day and I would like to get to know you. A friend would make it easier to be here," she said coyly.

"I would like that too," I smiled at her.

Henry walks by to keep an eye on the other patients. "Keep your hands out of your undergarments, Pendleton," he mumbles at me.

Aurelia covers her mouth and laughs. I can feel my cheeks go bright red. "Thank you for the warning, Henry," I mumble.

"What is that about?" She asks, still trying not to laugh.

"It's a long story," I say, avoiding eye contact.

She starts to put the pieces together and stops laughing, "Does it have to do with why you're here?"

I nod.

"I won't ask any further questions then," she says sweetly.

"That's very kind of you," I say to her.

"Well, I understand. I wouldn't want to discuss why I'm here either," she says.

I understand what she means. I want to ask why she's here though. I want to befriend Aurelia and I want to know everything about her. Her avoidance of such a subject has caught my attention and I can't quit thinking about it. I must ask her eventually.