April 3, 1838

At the age of 44, I can say that I officially have everything. I have a family, a home, and a better world. It took some time, but I was finally put into contact with a reformer named Dorothea Dix. Her inspiring goal in life was always to help people. She studied to be a nurse and the dedicated her life to reforming prisons and asylums to suitable living conditions. I gave her a small investment and she used it to make Amhearst what it always aspired to be: a place where people can heal.

I asked what staff was left to keep me notified on Aurelia's condition. When Dorothea completed her reformations, I visited Amhearst once more and for the final time with Charlotte and George. I asked about my dear friend and found that she had passed away two years prior. I also asked about John and Henry. They were indicted as accessories to Ridgeway's madness.

"Mama, can we go help Aunt Charlotte in the garden?" I felt a tug on my dress.

"Of course! Go pick some pretty flowers to set the dining table with for dinner tonight," I smiled wider than I ever used to. "Watch over your sister, Alexander, you know how she likes to wander! And stay out of the mud, Lincoln!"

"Yes, mama," the boys call.

"How is my beautiful wife?" George wraps his arms around my waist from behind.

"I'm perfect," I say softly.

"I know you are," he smiles and kisses the top of my head. "No one has to tell me that."

"You know what I meant," I playfully hit him.

"Is someone watching the kids?"

"Yes, Charlotte's out there. Aurelia wanted to help her in the garden. Don't worry, I told Alexander to watch her too."

"I forgot to mention to you that a letter came."

"From who?" I inquired.

"I'm not sure. It's addressed to Caroline Abernathy though. How many people with that name live here?" He says sarcastically.

"Just me, I think," I joke along with him. I open the letter. "It's from the government of New York."

"What?" He reads the letter over my shoulder.

"They want to give me $100,000 now that the Amhearst proceedings are over for all the damages I endured."

"What do you want to do with it?" His eyebrows raised.

"Most of it should be put away for the kids' educations. Maybe we could adopt Aurelia a little sister? She's always wanted one. I get what it's like to grow up the only girl," I sigh.

"Sounds like a plan," he kisses me on the cheek. "I ran into Mary, the one from the orphanage, the other day. She was asking about the kids."

"Oh yeah?"

"She asked how old they were now and she couldn't believe Alexander is eleven. She remembers all of them when they were taken in as babies."

"It seems like just yesterday we were walking in to the orphanage. They do grow so fast." I can't help but reminisce.

"It's too bad your parents didn't watch them grow up," George mentions.

"They should have thought of that. It's not like they ever reached out after I left anyways. I think it's better off they're not in our lives," I counter.

"Well yes, but my parents died when I was eighteen. Our children don't have any grandparents at all. Every child needs a grandparent to spoil them," he says.

"Perhaps, but I think Charlotte fills the role for their two missing sets of grandparents and uncles," I say. George and I have a good laugh over that statement.

I take in a satisfied deep breath and watch the children run around in the yard through the bay window. My husband takes me hand as he watches too. It's so intriguing to watch the careless, playful wonder of children. How I admire their spirit.

I am 44 and I have everything. A husband, children, a best friend, a family. It took years of pain, suffering, and bravery to get here and I wouldn't want it any other way. I would gladly do it all over again just to have these precious moments.