A Year at Amhearst

I stare at the small metal wire sitting in the metal tray beside me. In a way, it was a part of me. It felt strange for it to not be with me anymore. I had gotten used to the uncomfortableness of sitting down. Charlotte pulls her gloves off and throws them in the bin.

"Alright, I wouldn't touch the area for at least a month," she said.

"No problem. It actually did help to cut down," I rolled my eyes in disbelief that anything Dr. Ridgeway did actually helped me.

"Not that I condone a staff-patient relationship, but George asked to see you. He said he had something for you," Charlotte says as she helps me off the table.

It was a little hard to stand up. The anesthesia made my legs partially numb. I took slow steps out of the operating room and walked to George's room. I know he's on the door and he called me in.

"Oh, hello Caroline," he smiled warmly as usual and greeted me with a hug.

"Charlotte said you had something for me," I tried to hide my anticipation.

"Ah, yes. You'll be very excited," he turned and dug around on his desk full of papers for something. He pulled a folder out from underneath the heap and handed t to me.

I pulled the papers out, "My release forms? It has a doctor's signature! Oh, thank you George!" I hugged him and tried not to cry.

"You'll be able to go back home," he paused, "in England." His voice had a melancholy tone.

"We'll keep in touch," I promised.

"I have to speak with you about something." He looked worried. "John arranged for me to take you to the port tomorrow, so that you can go back home. If I don't say this now, I'll never have the chance again."

"What is it?" I grew nervous.

"I know this is going to sound crazy and unprofessional. However, I'm a firm believer in speaking your mind uncensored. Caroline," he drew in a deep breath, "I'm in love with you. The moment I saw you at the port, I thought you were the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. When we began to talk, I knew you didn't belong here. I know there were a few months in between where we didn't see each other, but I felt like it was fate that we met again. These past months, I've gotten to know you very well and I don't want to just let you go without at least saying something."

I stayed silent. I felt tears forming in my eyes. I can tell by the way he averted his eyes in a shameful way that he saw this. "George," I whispered.

"I'm sorry. I know I said too much."

"No," I wiped a tear away, "that was very sweet."

"I didn't mean to upset you," he scratched his head nervously.

"I'm not upset. I'm happy," I smiled at him even though tears began to escape. "My parents, the only ones who possibly love me on this Earth, didn't speak to me while I was here. I haven't spoken to my family in a little over a year. The staff and other patients made an outcast of me and I have been mistreated since I came here, but not by you. And not by Charlotte."

He was silent now. Neither of us really knew what to say.

"And don't get me wrong, I've always thought you were quite attractive," we both laugh.

"But you don't feel the same way. I get it," he takes a seat at the table.

"No, George, I do. I want you to come with me," I smile.

"You want me to go home with you?"

"Yes," I take his hand, "there's more than enough room at my family's estate."

"I don't know. Will they approve of that?"

"They don't matter anymore. I'm going to make my own family that loves and appreciates me. Let's take Charlotte too!"

"I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself," he looked unsure.

"George, there's no reason for you to stay here. You have no family, you told me you were planning to move and get a new job anyways."

He sat there for a minute or so, pondering. "You're right," he sighed. "Charlotte is another story though. You'll need to speak with her later tonight. She'll have to be ready by tomorrow morning to leave,"

"Oh, I'm beside myself I'm so excited! Just think, we three could get an estate of our own! My aunt wrote in her will that I was to inherit her estate when I'm married."

"Just speak with Charlotte," he laughed.

I practically ran out of the room. I called for Charlotte through the halls. When I walked passed the hallway where our rooms are, I saw Aurelia sitting outside of her room. She wasn't moving and there was drool coming out of her mouth.

"You called?" Charlotte said, coming down the hall.

"I have something very important I want to ask you."

"What is it?"

I looked at Aurelia and then back at Charlotte, "Would you come home with me and George?"

"Wha- I don't understand," her eyebrows creased.

"You were right. He's in love with me and he's coming home with me. I want you to come too. We'd have to stay at my parent's estate until I can get my inherited estate from them," I didn't want to say too much or too little. Just enough to convince her.

"When do we leave?"

"Really?!"

"Yes. I need to get out of this hell hole," she covered her mouth, "excuse my language." We both laughed.