1.1

The Package

"Guys, just a friendly reminder that we have only seventeen minutes until the star swarm obliterates us." Throttle's words came through all too loud and clear in Aramis Reyne and Jeyde Sixx's spacesuit headsets.

"Working on it," Reyne shot back as they continued to cut through the damn near indestructible rilon hull of Myrad hauler M4029LW, which proved to be thicker than they'd estimated, throwing off their timetable.

"I think we should go with Plan B. Tell Genics Corp that we couldn't get to the ship in time, and let's clear out of here," their pilot countered.

"Not your call." Using a quick burst from his suit's propulsion system, Reyne moved to the side, giving the other man room to secure a pry bar that resembled a spindly, long-legged spider. Sixx hit a button on his suit, and the tip of each leg thrust into the four-square-foot outline they'd burnt through the outer hull.

"Usually I enjoy a bit of excitement," Sixx said before hitting another button on his suit. The bar's legs slammed deep, and both the pry bar and the square section of the hauler shot out into space. "But I'll be damned if star swarms don't scare the hell out of me."

Reyne gave him a wry look. "Worse than that woman you hooked up with on Sol Base?" he asked as he pressed through the hole and into the cargo bay of the dead hauler.

"Double-jointed Sally? Now, she was scary. The things she could do with—"

"Hey, you guys are still transmitting. And, we're down to sixteen minutes until bingo."

"We're inside." Reyne watched his arm display as he scanned the large, round room with rows of crates fastened onto every open wall space. His scanner was weak and wouldn't register the package unless he was within a dozen feet of it. As he completed a sweep of the cargo bay, his scanner flashed red.

He grimaced. "Package isn't in the cargo bay. Must be deeper in the ship."

"Hey, Reyne. Check this out. Those viggin' Myrads get all the best hauls."

He turned to see Sixx shining his light on crates strapped against the far wall. The words Genics Corp Biome Kits were emblazoned on each crate.

"These guys were hauling enough kits to jump-start a new colony. You know how many credits we could get for these?" Sixx asked.

Reyne frowned. "Why were they hauling so many kits? I haven't heard of any new colonies being started."

Sixx shrugged. "It's not like they'll be able to salvage this hauler once the swarm hits it. What do you say, boss? Knowing that we're taking from Myrads feels just as good as seeing the credits we'll get for these kits."

Reyne held up a single finger. "One crate. You get it back to the Gryphon, and I'll grab the package." Reyne could see Sixx's wide grin through his helmet, so he tacked on, "We don't have time to mess around, got it?"

"Got it, boss."

Reyne turned, grabbed a railing, and thrust himself through the gravity-free bay toward the interior door. "Throttle, tell Boden to prepare for incoming cargo."

"Already done. Fifteen minutes, gentlemen. Take your time." Her sarcasm made him chuckle, though he quickly sobered. Anxious to be done with this job and back on his own ship, he hit the door with more momentum than planned, and the impact rattled his joints.