4.14

Paybacks

Above Ice Port, Playa

Barrett Anders answered the comm to see a rather frazzled Corps General Laciam. His hair, normally perfect, looked as though he'd run his hands through it more than once.

"Corps General, I wasn't expecting to hear from you until tomorrow."

"Parliament has been bombed," Laciam said flatly. "I need the Caliban for the response team."

"Of course," Barrett said. "When did this bombing happen?"

"Three, no, four, hours ago."

"How many senators did we lose?"

"We're still tracking them down. Parliament was on break, so we expect minimal casualties."

Barrett frowned as he thought. Bombing a building at a time when casualties would be at a minimum seemed at odds to when a terrorist would want to bomb. "Who bombed the building?"

"Torrents, of course. Who else would do it?"

"Have they taken credit for the attack?"

"No."

"Hm," Barrett said.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Seda Faulk has taken credit for every major attack. This is not like him." Barrett thought for a moment. "Did you see the torrents who bombed the building? Did you see anyone?"

"No. But, we're still pulling the vid feeds from the surrounding area."

"You won't find anything unusual," Barrett said. "I'd lay bets it was an inside job."

Laciam guffawed. "You're saying citizens were involved?"

"I am," Barrett said without a hint of surprise. "Have any unregistered ships bypassed the EMP nets?"

"Of course not."

"Then, if this attack was made by torrents, they had, at minimum, the help of citizens to get onto Myr, to Parliament, and—likely—are already back off Myr."

"There's no record of citizens involved in terrorist activities. They boycott and protest—they have the brains to not go further."

Barrett said, "I caution against any immediate reaction until we learn why Parliament was bombed. If there was no message, no one taking credit, the bombing hides an ulterior motive. Perhaps a diversion. Have you seen increased activity taking place anywhere in the Collective?"

"Nothing," Laciam said, "And, I don't have time for your ridiculous theories. You forced our hand into war when you cozied up with torrents. Then, you let an unknown quantity of torrents escape from Playa. When this is done, not only will you face charges for your negligence, but I will also see to it that you will never command another ship."

"If by negligence, you mean that I allowed refugees to flee before bombing an enemy location, then I stand as charged," Barrett said. "Like you, I have no desire to kill innocents, even in a time of war."

"There are no innocents in war."

Barrett ignored him. "I had reason to believe the bombing of the torrent base was considered a success—even though I didn't kill hundreds of innocent colonists—since I recovered the body of Vym Patel. However, I found it curious that the body of Commandant Jed Baptiste was with her. I wonder how a man who was believed to have been killed in the Uprising ended up on a torrent base twenty-four years after his disappearance."

"Enough," Laciam said. "I didn't reach out to chat with you. You are ordered to immediately bring the Caliban to meet up with the Unity at the Space Coast."

"The Coast? That's where all known refugees have fled."

"It's also where the torrent base is. We're going to obliterate Nova Colony and finish this war."

"As you command, Corps General," Barrett said.

As soon as Laciam disconnected, Barrett leaned back. The bombing of Parliament intrigued him. It was more than a symbolic attack—there had to be more to it than that, or else someone would've taken credit already. He wondered if the bombing was meant to draw attention from something else. Laciam, the poor idiot, only thought in terms of brute force. The Corps General was ready to kill thousands for what could have been a game of smoke and mirrors.

He tapped on his comm screen to reach out to the reporter who'd interviewed him when he first became Corps General. Perhaps, together, they could do something to keep a fool from destroying the Collective while giving an adventurous reporter the story of his life.

The comm screen came to life, and a clean-cut man's visage appeared. He smiled. "Corps General—I mean, Commandant—I'm still not used to that. What can I do for you?"

Barrett returned the smile. "On the contrary, Willas. I have a lead for you."