2.15

Hard Lessons

Reyne and Critch took over Seda's hangar lounge so that they could apprise Heid of the recent events and their current predicament. She wasn't too happy, to put it mildly.

Heid's exasperated sigh came through the screen loud and clear. "We've got the Arcadia. We can be there in four days. It's foolish to let a warship sit rusting out here when you need help on Terra."

Critch growled. "The Arcadia is no match against the armada Ausyar is sending to Terra as we speak. They'll get here long before you will. The moment you'd drop out of jump speed, they'd fire everything they have at you. You'd get yourself killed, and we'd lose our best weapon against the CUF."

She pursed her lips. "Is that me or the Arcadia you're talking about?"

"Take your pick," Critch replied.

"Then, let me call my friends in the CUF. Over a third of the fleet is loyal to Alluvia, not to Ausyar. If I make the call, they may be able to turn the tide."

"When it comes to allies, we can't count on 'maybes'," Critch countered.

"Critch is right," Reyne said. "If any other CUF officers support us, they'll likely demand us to openly pledge allegiance to Alluvia. The fringe may be aligned with Alluvia in wanting to stop Myr's power play, but everyone knows that Alluvia will step right into any power vacuum left by taking down Myr and the fringe will be no better off than we are now."

"In the colonists' eyes, there's no difference between Myr and Alluvia," Critch added. "They would just see us trading two overlords for one. At least with two, we all believe they temper each other's power bids somewhat."

Reyne nodded. "Whatever we do, our goal must always be to free the colonies from Collective oversight."

"Alluvia will never support that," Heid said.

"Then, they're our enemy, too," Critch said.

Heid frowned. "We'll fail without their help."

Reyne shook his head. "If we can't trust Alluvia, we can't ally with them. Not yet, anyway. The Uprising was always about the fringe, so we start there. It's time to announce our intentions. If we don't, then the CUF will simply spin whatever story they want, and I guarantee it won't make us look good. Heid, do you still have your news contact on Alluvia?"

"Yes."

"Can she get a story out on the Collective News? One that can't be edited or retracted?"

"She can, but she'll likely lose her job over it. The story better be good because it'll likely be the only one she'll be able to broadcast."

Reyne nodded. "Understood. I'll send you the script later today. Keep us posted so we can be ready for the aftermath. Tell your friend if she can pull this off, we'll do our best to protect her."

Heid cast him a sideways glance. "You know as well as I do that none of us can protect her on Alluvia."

"Well, then she'll need to get herself to the colonies where we can help her," Critch added.

Heid gave a tight nod. "I'll make sure she understands, though I must say that we're running out of room at Tulan Base, what with all the recent refugees from Nova Colony."

"That should be a temporary situation," Reyne said. "Now that Terra has shown her claws, Ausyar will be done playing with the Coast. He'll bring his armada to Terra."