1.22

Hypoxic Hijackings

Throttle glared at Reyne, her arms crossed. "Like hell you're leaving me behind."

Reyne set down his beer. "I need someone to stay with the Gryphon. We need Boden for landing on Alluvia, and Doc in case someone gets hurt, and Sixx—"

"Because he can walk," she interrupted.

"No," Reyne said calmly. "I was going to say because he was a professional thief, and we're breaking into someone's house."

Critch butted in. "Listen, Throttle. The truth hurts, but we'll be on the planet surface and without a ship. What is a cripple going to do in a place where there are no cripples? Everyone will be looking at you, and we'll be forced to scrub the mission."

She'd slowly rolled over to where Critch sat as he was speaking. When he finished, she punched him. "You're a bastard."

"He is a bastard," Reyne said but noticed that the pirate didn't raise a hand to strike her back. "But, he's right in that this is a mission that will be taking place on the ground. If it was taking place in the air, you'd be the first on my team."

Critch rubbed his cheek. "Nice right hook." He finished off his beer, kicked off from his chair, grabbed her hand, and slapped a key onto her palm. "I bet Reyne doesn't pay worth a shit, so stay in my guest quarters. Any food and necessities can go onto my account. No one will mess with you at Nova Colony. Have fun, but don't get carried away."

"This is bullshit," she muttered, staring at the key. She glared at Critch. "And you're still a bastard."

"I know."

Reyne forced a smile and squeezed her shoulder. "I wish it didn't have to be this way. I know it's not fair, but we'll be back before you know it." He paused. "You watch yourself around here."

She glanced up. Where Reyne expected to see tears, he saw anger instead. "You're lucky I don't punch you, too."

"And I'd deserve it."

She lifted her chin. "I don't like it, but I get why you're leaving me behind. You can't always treat me like a little girl."

He swallowed. "I know." He kissed her forehead, turned in a rush, and walked out of the Uneven Bar before he said something stupid, like make a promise he couldn't keep.

He fastened his helmet and stepped into the airlock that separated the docks from Nova Colony. Critch joined him, and they stood in silence as the chamber depressurized. As soon as the door opened, Reyne grabbed a zip line and flew down to the docks. He refused to look at the Gryphon and headed straight to the Honorless. He didn't slow his momentum until he reached its port door, not stopping until he hit the inner door. Critch followed and shut the door behind them. Pressurization took no more than a couple seconds, and Reyne tugged off his helmet and stepped inside. He started down the hallway to meet his crew.

Critch kept pace alongside Reyne. "I know why you're leaving her behind."

"Oh yeah?"

"You're leaving her behind because you don't think you're coming back, and you want her to live. For what it's worth, I would've done the same thing. She's young. She deserves to have a few more years." They walked in silence for a while. "If you don't make it, I'll fix her legs."

Reyne stopped. "Why?"

The pirate shrugged. "She's an innocent." He kept walking. "Plus, she'd make a solid addition to one of my crews."

"Like hell," Reyne said and caught up. "Besides, what makes you think you'll get out of this alive?"

Critch grunted. "I'm too pretty to die."