2.16

Floodwaters

It was well past time they returned to Broken Mountain, though everyone dreaded it.

Reyne, Critch, and Seda left the hangar in a holo-cloaked sport vehicle. Sixx, Birk, and Hari rode along to provide protection from the Citadel refugees. Reyne found that the idea that they may need protection from those who'd once served as torrents in their army left a sour taste in his mouth.

But he had to remind himself that a lot had changed since the Uprising.

The vehicle pulled up to where a tunnel entrance had stood twenty years ago. Now, all he saw was the rocky side of a mountain. The driver held out a remote, the rock lifted, and Reyne realized it was a manufactured wall designed to blend into the surrounding terrain.

"I can see why your quarries haven't been profitable," Critch said. "You've invested in some high-end gadgets."

"Gadgets and ships have always been a passion of mine," Seda replied. "Any time I can dabble in them without the Collective's peering gaze, I find it more pleasurable."

The tunnel before them was a dark maw, threatening to swallow anyone who dared enter. His heart beat faster as memories resurfaced of nights of driving—sometimes running with a fallen comrade draped over his shoulder—into this tunnel following a battle or reconnaissance. The Uprising had left him with claustrophobia; he disliked entering the tunnels as much now as he did back then.

He supposed some things hadn't changed since the Uprising.

As they entered the large tunnel, Hari scrolled through her wrist comm, filling them in on the current situation. "About a third of the freed prisoners fled on foot rather than taking the transports to the tunnels. We've made no attempt to track them down or help them. We expect most who fled will likely be caught by the CUF patrols and killed, but our hands are already full with the ones who've accepted our help. For the refugees under our protection, we logged 12,698 in the tunnels, but twelve died overnight—one suicide, two cardiac arrests, and nine from injuries sustained during or after their escape. We've set up medical units, psychiatric units, control units, and isolation units for those needing help.

"The rest are in the general population, split among the tunnels. All the bathrooms and cafeterias are running at one hundred percent, but we're maxed out in the bunks since that project hadn't yet been completed. As anticipated, we've had unrest and acts of violence, but in general, things are going as well as can be expected. However, we anticipate a tepid response to your arrival. Most of these people are worn out from years of mental and physical abuse, and being back in the mountain seems to have made them very edgy."

Critch eyed Reyne. "I better take the lead."

Reyne grimaced and gave a nod before lifting the cloth up from his neck to cover his mouth and nose. Rather than wearing the itchy cloned skin, he had chosen to wear a shemagh to tour the mountain. Cloned skin would simply be a stopgap to bide time, but if he was going to be a leader he had to reveal his true face to his torrents sometime.

Everyone unloaded from the vehicle, and Reyne eyed the rifle Sixx carried. "Try not to look aggressive. We want to keep everyone as calm as possible."

"Good luck with that," Sixx said.

"Some may try to kill you," Critch added.

Reyne nodded. "I know."

Seda added, "I still recommend that you let them acclimate to freedom a bit longer before you meet with them."

"We have forces maintaining control in the tunnels who will be watching out for you," Hari said. "However, should you encounter any life-threatening situations, run back to the vehicle. Tax will stay with it while you're inside."