Chapter 10

The dark and velvety voice that had rippled from the doorway, startling both myself and Lucas from our discussion, paused, as if enjoying our reactions to its surprising intrusion on our lives. I had no idea why Lucifer himself had decided to darken my doorway, but from his low and disapproving tone I knew he hadn't come to offer me his well wishes and grant me a week or two to rest and recuperate.

 “Well, um, I had best be going Rayne. Things to do and all that, I'll leave you two to...chat.”

 I'd never seen Lucas in quite such a hurry as when he made for the door, so keen to be out of Lucifer's presence. Couldn't blame him really, not when he'd already landed himself in hot water on his last job. Lucifer was scary enough to be around at the best of times, let alone when he was displeased with you. Not having quite found the confidence to speak yet, I managed a shaky smile at my old friend as he turned away. Silently, I hoped I would have the chance to see him again before his trial – whenever that might be.

 Lucas stumbled slightly as he made it to the door and faced Lucifer, who stood unmoving, his tall frame filling the entire opening from top to bottom. He'd been expecting Lucifer to glide out of his way as he approached, as had I. A tiny spark of hope ignited in my chest at the stoic statue like figure in the doorway, perhaps he was there for Lucas and not for me.

 Lucifer glowered down at Lucas. I watched, astonished at how such pitch black eyes could appear to physically burn with so much fire. One thin black eyebrow rose in an arch to frame his right eye, though neither of them spoke a word. Silent moments stretched out for what felt like hours as the tension between them crackled almost visibly in the air. Lucas hunched low, curling his back and shoulders in upon themselves in some effort to make his 5”10 frame appear as small and insignificant as possible. His eyes stayed trained on the floor and I hoped quietly that Lucifer would soon make some move or break the silence; the atmosphere in the room made it hard for me to breathe.

 “Haste is not always our friend, Lucas.” Lucifer finally intoned in a soft, quiet voice that was impossible to ignore. “You would do well to remember that.”

 His voice alone was enough to make your knees tremble and, when Lucifer stepped to one side and allowed Lucas to pass by, my old friend slipped out into the tunnel with an awkward, shaky gait that revealed the extent of his nerves.

 What was worse, Lucas's departure left me alone with the Lord of Hell – or at least with one aspect of his all encompassing power. He'd turned his dark eyes away from the room for a moment, tracking Lucas's path down the tunnel and giving me a little time to compose myself. I needed it.

 Lucifer was everything you'd expect an aspect of the 'Prince of Darkness' to be and, at the same time, be something wholly unexpected.

 He wasn't the only power in Hell who actually made the decision to appear in human form – unlike my breed, and many others, there were those who had complete control over their physical appearance. I never fathomed why they made this choice but, I supposed, if it was a choice between a handsome human form or a rubbery old monster the likes of Malick, it was a no-brainer. Though I spoke as someone with human blood in my veins, a pureblood demon woman might well find the form repulsive. Who knew, it was a mystery I had few hopes of ever solving and should feel content to know that was just how it was.

 And, as it was, Lucifer was certainly a sight to behold. He might have looked like a man but a mere moment in his presence was enough to tell you that he was far from human. While he appeared tall, dignified and handsome, around middle aged – for want of a human term, in reality the power that ruled Hell was ancient – he positively oozed darkness, power and authority. He made you long to abase yourself at his feet and beg for the honour to worship him if you were not strong enough to get a grip. I was glad of the moment I'd had to compose myself, no need to be humiliated unnecessarily.