Chapter 16

Jesse led us still further down the narrow street, as the sun dipped lower in the sky; summer was coming to an end and the nights were slowly starting to draw in. The wide stretches of gardens between each small cottage allowed the dying rays of sunlight to pour through in large shafts, stretching shadows out, elongated and deformed, casting the street into a strange darkness in spite of the sunset.

Suddenly we took another left turn onto, what could only be classed as a dirt track, just wide enough for a single car to pass down. The trees on either side of the road had grown together, their tops arching over to form a tunnel of green through which we headed; the apprehension growing stronger in my stomach with every step.

This was on 'road' I had missed on my first tour of the village. I trusted even less where Jesse was trying to lead me and what he might have planned once we got there, and I was growing sick of following him without question – well, it had to have been about ten minutes since I last questioned him anyway.

“Is it much further?” I asked, stopping in my tracks suddenly and dropping my hand from his. The exasperation was clear in my voice but I, somehow, managed to conceal the anxiety it was coupled with.

“No.” Jesse laughed at the expression that crossed my face then, I was sure I'd heard him say that before. “Honestly, just over there in fact. See the lights on through the hedge?”

I peered through the dark foliage in the direction that he had pointed and shook my head. I couldn't see anything besides tall trees and overgrown hedges, that now looked more black than green in the dying light. This certainly didn't make me feel any better about the whole situation, having good night vision might not necessarily be a plus if I still couldn't see where it was we were headed.

Jesse laughed again and ran a hand through his messy brown hair. “Yeah, I guess my gardening skills aren't exactly up to scratch.”

“Your gardening skills? Why would...” I paused mid-sentence when a light suddenly burst on in my head, “we're going to your house? For dinner?”

Why hadn't I considered that possibility before? The idea had never even crossed my mind, but if that was our intended destination it was another ounce of information that could help me solve this case and lead Jesse to his corruption. I wouldn't get the job done in one night, I was resigned to that fact, but if I knew where he lived I wouldn't have to keep waiting for him to show his face in the pub to get things done. The anxiety in my chest eased slightly and I found it somewhat easier to breathe, the danger of being in his company wasn't lessened any, it never was, but a brightly lit house held more promise and comforts than a deserted field, or darkened forest. It was all about your mindset, and I had to stop letting the emotional, human side of me run away with itself.

“Yeah, we are. Somewhere quiet, relaxing, completely unlike the pub. I cooked...and you don't look very enthusiastic about the idea.”

I'd lost myself in my own thoughts for a moment, kicking myself for my stupidity and irrational fears. It wasn't like I had any choice but to go with him, no matter where it was we ended up. The fear was unwarranted and would do nothing but get in the way. In the same way, the relief I felt at finally knowing where it was we were going was bizarrely comforting. I had to get a handle on myself before the end of the night or I was going to royally screw things up.

“No,” I said, the words Jesse had spoken finally registering in my brain, along with the disappointment that came through in his tone, “No, I'm just surprised is all, it's not what I was expecting. I mean, come on, most men don't set themselves up to be judged quite so intimately right from the off.”

The dark and scary images that had been forming in my mind of Jesse were suddenly softened. Would a hardened criminal really invite someone he barely knew round for a home-cooked meal? Well, quite possibly, but I imaged them to be far more suave and confident than he had proven to be. Still, I would never forget that look I had seen in his eyes, if a killing was what would lead to his corruption, I sure as hell was not going to be the victim.