Chapter 26

“What the hell is she doing here?” Eric's greeting left an awful lot to be desired by way of hospitality.

He was waiting outside by the gatepost when Jesse and I pulled into the driveway of the large, modern semi. Waiting with some anxiety if the tension in his jaw and the way he hissed his words was anything to go by.

“As charming as ever I see,” I said, the slamming of the car door masking my mutterings.

“You want me to get this done today, I'm gonna need some fucking help. Somehow didn't figure you'd be the first in line for getting your hands dirty,” Jesse spat as he locked the car and stomped towards the gate. Eric barred the way through to the house so Jesse stopped, leaning his hands on the low wall that marked the boundary of the property, and stared Eric down.

I could see the man wanted to protest, to complain; a test of just how much he wanted this little job done quickly, not to mention for free. He may not have ever realised it, but his desperation for this job to be done, to get his house on the market and sold as quickly as possible spoke volumes. As did his reluctance to spend any cash on it. Sure everyone likes a freebie when they can get it, and it was Jesse's mother's idea that he do it, but would he protest hard enough for Jesse to refuse the job?

A scowl on his face, Eric bit his lower lip as if holding back the words he really wanted to let slip. “Fine!” he eventually said, “Just don't make a mess, and stay out of the house.”

“Right, so what you want me to piss in the flowerbed? Don't think that'll help with your prospects of selling this place much.”

“Whatever, but like I said don't make a mess, I've got enough to deal with without cleaning up after you. I've got to go to a meeting with my lawyer, and I'm already late thanks to waiting around here.”

With that Eric pushed past Jesse and jumped into his top of the line Audi he'd already parked by the curb in anticipation of our arrival and his imminent departure. “I mean it about the mess!” he yelled out of the open window before he sped off down the road, leaving us to stand open mouthed in disbelief at his behaviour.

“Wow, so ever the conversationalist I see,” I said, sarcastically. “What the hell was that all about?”

I was as confused as ever by Eric's behaviour. I'd only met the man twice so far but couldn't figure him out at all – and I liked to think I was such a good reader of people. All I did know, was there was something so very off with him and while a day of watching Jesse work sounded far from fun – although there were a few perks obviously – a chance to snoop around Eric's house while he was out was too good to pass up. I'd just have to be careful not to make a mess, as he seemed rather pedantic about that.

“The fuck if I know.” Jesse shook his head then gestured for me to follow him. “C'mon, better go see what kind of state he's left me out the back. Then I'm probably gonna need a trip to the trade depot, not counting on Eric actually having the stuff I need to fix this thing.”

We followed the gravel path around the side of the house and through a tall gate into the back garden. Jesse led the way, I wondered how many times he'd visited the house before, perhaps the atmosphere was much more inviting when his sister was alive. The well mown, luscious green lawn was the first thing that met my eyes, edged with beautifully tended flowerbeds, a wooden arbour set against one fence surrounded by a huge trailing grape vine. The garden was someone's pride and joy – maybe Jesse's mother tended the place as well as her own, or had Jen inherited her mother's green fingered talents – there was even a brick barbecue set on the edge of the patio in question, which was the only part of the immaculate garden that felt like it didn't fit.