6.1 Skin

Sam, Dean and I pulled into a gas station. "Alright, I figure we'd hit Tucumcari by lunch, then head south, hit Bisbee by midnight," Dean said. I nodded but Sam didn't responded. "Sam wears women's underwear," Dean joked. "I knew it!" I joked and Dean laughed.

"I've been listenin', I'm just busy," Sam said as he checking something on his PalmPilot. "Doin' what?" I asked. "Reading e-mails," Sam replied. Dean got out of the car and started to fill the tank with gas. "E-mails from who?" Dean asked. "From my friends at Stanford," Sam replied.

"You're kidding. You still keep in touch with your college buddies?" Dean asked. "Why not?" Sam said. "Well, what exactly do you tell 'em? You know, about where you've been, what you've been doin'?" Dean asked. "I tell 'em I'm on a road trip with my big brother and my little sister. I tell 'em I needed some time off after Jess," Sam said.

"So you lie to 'em," I said. "No. I just don't tell 'em . . . Everything," Sam said. Dean nodded. "Yeah, that's called lying. I mean, hey, man, I get it, tellin' the truth is far worse," He said. "So, what am I supposed to do, just cut everybody out of my life?" Sam asked.

Dean shrugged. "You're serious?" Sam asked. "Look, it sucks, but in a job like this, you can't get close to people, period," Dean said. "You're kind of anti-social, you know that?" Sam said and I giggled.

"Yeah, whatever," Dean said as Sam continues to read his e-mails. "God . . ." Sam mumbled. "What?" I asked. "In this e-mail from this girl, Rebecca Warren, one of those friends of mine," Sam replied. "Is she hot?" Dean asked but Sam and I ignored him.

"I went to school with her, and her brother, Zack. She says Zack's been charged with murder. He's been arrested for killing his girlfriend. Rebecca says he didn't do it, but it sounds like the cops have a pretty good case," Sam informed.

"Dude, what kind of people are you hangin' out with?" Dean asked. "No, man, I know Zack. He's no killer," Sam said. "Well, maybe you know Zack as well as he knows you," Dean said but Sam ignored him again. "They're in St. Louis. We're going," Sam said.

Dean chuckled. "Look, sorry 'bout your buddy, okay? But this does not sound like our kind of problem," He said. "It is our problem. They're my friends," Sam said. "St. Louis is four hundred miles behind us, Sam," Dean said.

Sam looked at me and then I looked at Dean. Dean looked between us and then sighed. "Fine," He said. We pulled out of the gas station and started driving to St. Louis.

...................

We pulled in front of a house. Rebecca's. We walked to the door and Sam rang the bell as me and Dean stood at both of his sides. After a few seconds, a blond girl opened the door. It's must be Rebecca.

"Oh my God, Sam!" She said happily. "Well, if it isn't little Becky," Sam teased. Rebecca grinned. "You know what you can do with that little Becky crap," She said and they hugged. "I got your e-mail," Sam said as they pulled away. "I didn't think that you would come here," Rebecca said.

Dean stepped forward and extended his hand. "Dean. Older brother," Dean said and they shook hands. "Hi," Rebecca said with a smile. "Hi," Dean said with a smile. "This is our little sister, Scarlett," Sam said as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

Rebecca smiled. "Hey," She said and we shook hands. "Hello," I said with a smile. "We're here to help. Whatever we can do," Sam said. Rebecca smiled. "Come in," She said and we walked inside the house, and Dean shut the door.

"Nice place," Dean said. "It's my parents'. I was just crashing here for the long weekend when everything happened. I decided to take the semester off. I'm gonna stay until Zack's free," Rebecca said. "Where are your folks?" Sam asked.

"They live in Paris for half the year, so they're on their way home now for the trial," Rebecca replied. We enter the kitchen. "Do you guys want a beer or something?" Rebecca asked. Dean smiled, "Hey --" 

"No, thanks," Sam cut him off and he shot him a look. "I want a juice," I said. Rebecca smiled and opened the fridge while Dean wrapped his arms around my shoulders. Rebecca handed me a orange juice. "Hope you like orange juice," She said with a smile. I smiled. "Thank you," I said. "So, tell us what happened," Sam said.

"Well, um, Zack came home, and he found Emily tied to a chair. And she was beaten up and bloody, and she wasn't breathing. So, he called 911, and the police -- they showed up, and they arrested him. But, the thing is, the only way that Zack could've killed Emily is if he was in two places at the same time. The police -- they have a video. It's from the security tape from across the street. And it shows Zack coming home at 10:30. Now, Emily was killed just after that, but I swear, he was here with me, having a few beers until at least after midnight," Rebecca explained.

"You know, maybe we could see the crime scene. Zack's house," Sam said. "We could," Dean said. "Why? I mean, what could you do?" Rebecca asked. "Well, me and Scar, not much. But Dean's a cop," Sam said. Dean laughed a little. "Detective, actually," He said. "Really?" Rebecca asked and Dean nodded. "Where?"

"Bisbee, Arizona. But I'm off-duty now," Dean said. "You guys, it's so nice to offer, but I just -- I don't know," Rebecca said. "Bec, look, I know Zack didn't do this. Now, we have to find a way to prove that he's innocent," Sam said. Rebecca smiled a little. "Okay. I'm gonna go get the keys," She said and she walked away, down the hall.

Dean whistled as he turned around to look at our brother. "Oh, yeah, you're a real straight shooter with your friends," He comment. "Look, Zack and Becky need our help," Sam said. "I just don't think this is our kind of problem," Dean said. "Two places at once? We've looked into less," Sam said. Dean sighed but didn't say anything.

We drove to Zack's house. The four of us climbed out of the car and walked to the house. "You're sure this is okay?" Rebecca asked Dean. "Yeah. I am an officer of the law," Dean said. He, Sam and I walked in under the police tape and looked around. We saw the furniture and walls of the house are smeared with blood.

I looked back and saw Rebecca was still on the porch steps. "Rebecca, you wanna wait outside?" I asked. Rebecca shook her head and she walked under the police tape as she spoke, "No. I wanna help."

"Tell us what else the police said," Sam said. "Well, there's no sign of a break-in. They say that Emily let her attacker in. The lawyers -- they're already talking about plea bargain," Rebecca replied and she looked around the room, with tears in her eyes. "Oh, God . . ."

"Look, Bec, if Zack didn't do this, it means someone else did. Any idea who?" Sam asked. Rebecca shook her head, but then she remembered something. "Um, there was something, about a week before. Somebody broke in here and stole some clothes -- Zack's clothes. The police -- they don't think it's anything. I mean, we're not that far from downtown. Sometimes people get robbed," She said. Sam and I nodded and we walked away.

We both looked in the kitchen, looking at the picture of Sam, Rebecca and a man on the fridge. "Is that Zack?" I asked. "Yeah," Sam replied and then we stayed quiet. I looked away from the picture and saw Dean walking up to us. "So, the neighbor's dog went psycho right around the time Zack's girlfriend was killed," Dean said.

"Animals can have a sharp sense of the paranormal," I said. "Yeah, maybe Fido saw something'," Dean said. "So, you think maybe this is our kind of problem?" Sam asked with a small smile. "No. Probably not. But we should look at the security tape, you know, just to make sure," Dean said. Sam and I chuckled a little.

"Yeah," Sam said. "Yeah," Dean repeated. Rebecca walked over to us. "So, the tape. The security footage -- you think maybe your lawyers could get their hands on it, 'cause I just don't have that kind of jurisdiction," Dean said.

"I've already got it. I didn't wanna say something in front of the cop," Rebecca said. Dean chuckled a little. "I stole it off the lawyer's desk. I just had to see it for myself," Rebecca said. "All right," Dean said and the four of us left Zack's house.