12.3 A Reaper

The next morning, Sam and I convinced Dean that we should go to the hospital to check him up. Dean sat in a hospital bed, waiting for his results while Sam and I were standing.

"So, you really feel okay?" Sam asked. "I feel fine, Sam," Dean said, unhappy. I could see that something was bothering him but I didn't knew what.

The doctor came in with the paperwork, "Well, according to all your tests there's nothing wrong with your heart. No sign there ever was. Not that a man your age should be having heart trouble, but, still it's strange it does happen."

"What do you mean, strange?" I asked, frowning. "Yeah, what do you mean?" Dean asked. "Well," She started, crossing her arms, "Just yesterday, a young guy like you, twenty-seven, athletic. Out of nowhere, heart attack."

"Thanks, Doc," Dean said and she nodded, "No problem," She said before leaving. Dean pursed his lips before he looked at me and Sam, "That's odd."

"Maybe it's a coincidence. People's hearts give out all the time, man," Sam said. "No, they don't," Dean retorted, shaking his head.

"Look, Dean, do we really have to look this one in the mouth? Why can't we just be thankful that the guy saved your life and move on?" Sam begged. Dean stood up, "Because I can't shake this feeling, that's why."

"What feeling?" I asked softly as he turned around, putting his jacket on. "When I was healed, I just . . . I felt wrong. I felt cold. And for a second . . . I saw someone. This, uh, this old man. And I'm telling you, guys, it was a spirit."

"But if there was something there, Dean, I think we would've seen it, too. I mean, I've been seeing an awful lot of things lately," Sam said and Dean turned to face us, "Well, excuse me, psychic wonder. But you're just gonna need a little faith on this one. I've been hunting long enough to trust a feeling like this."

"Yeah, alright," Sam agreed, sighing. "What do you wanna do?" I asked. "I want you two to go check out the heart attack guy," Dean said. "I'm gonna visit the reverend."

...................

Dean dropped Sam and me off and we both talked with an employee as we walked by the swimming locker room, "I'm telling you, he seemed healthy. Swam every day, didn't smoke. So, a heart attack just kind of seemed, well, bizarre."

"And you said he was running, right before he collapsed?" Sam asked. "Yeah, yeah, he was freaking out. He said that something was, uh, was after him," The man said.

"Did he say what?" I asked. "Well, thin air is what. I mean, it wasn't anything," He replied. "Alright, thanks," Sam said, nodding to him. I gave the man a small smile and Sam and I walked pass him as he gave us a small nod.

As we were leaving, we noticed the clock on the wall wasn't working. "Hey, buddy? Your, uh, your clock's busted," Sam said. The man stood beside us, "Oh, yeah, we, uh, can't get it workin'. Just froze at 4:17."

"Is that the same time Marshall died?" I asked, frowning. He looked at me, surprise, "How'd you know?" He asked. Sam and I exchanged quick glances before looking back at the man, "Thanks again," I said and we both left.

"What now?" I asked. He sighed, "Now, we going to find out what's going on," He said.

...................

Sam and I were at our motel room for a while until Dean came back. He throw his car keys on his bed and took off his jacket. Sam was at his laptop and I looked between him and Dean, sitting in front of Sam with a book.

"What'd you find out?" Dean asked but Sam didn't looked up at him. "I'm sorry," Sam spoke quietly. "Sorry about what?" Dean asked, frowning. "Marshall Hall died at 4:17," I spoke as Sam finally looked up. Dean looked stunned, "The exact time I was healed."

"Yeah. So, we put together a list of everyone Roy's healed, six people over the past year, and I cross-checked them with the local obits," Sam said and I handed Dean the papers and he sat down beside me as Sam continued, "Every time someone was healed, someone else died. And each time, the victim died of the same symptom LeGrange was healing at the time."

"Someone's healed of cancer, someone else dies of cancer?" Dean asked. "Somehow. LeGrange . . . he's trading a life for another," I said. "Wait, wait, wait. So, Marshall Hall died to save me?" Dean asked.

"Dean, the guy probably would've died anyway. And someone else would've been healed," Sam said, upset. "You guys never should've brought me here," Dean said and he got up.

"Dean, we were just trying to save your life," I said. "Some guy is dead now because of me, Scarlett!" He yelled and I slightly jumped in my seat from his voice. He never yelled at me before. His eyes soften and he seemed to regret for yelling at me like that.

"Dean, we didn't know. You angry but don't take it out on Scar," Sam said. "I know," Dean said as I looked away. "I'm sorry, Shorty," He said softly and I gave a small nod.

"The thing I don't understand is how is Roy doing it? How's he trading a life for a life?" Sam asked. "Oh, he's not doing it. Something else is doing it for him," Dean said. "What do you mean?" I asked.

"The old man I saw on stage. I didn't wanna believe it, but deep down I knew," Dean said. "You knew what? What are you talking about?" Sam asked, confused just as I was.

"There's only one thing that can give and take life like that," Dean said. "We're dealing with a reaper."