Chapter 1

Blake felt the slowly bruising patches all over her body as she sprinted down the long, bright hallway. Her bare feet pounding against the hard tiles, cold wind stinging her face. Her long black hair whipped around behind her, her hands clenched into tight fists. A look of both danger and fear sparkling in her deep green eyes. Blasting sirens sounded, bright lights began to flash, illuminating the hallway in red. Blake pushed herself faster, she was flying. Her eye caught on an dull green door to her left. Her instincts screamed at her to keep running, she ignored the only sane thought left in her, she slid to a stop and faced the door. She entered the large room, eyes immediately taking in her surroundings. She spotted him on the other side of the room, asleep. She ran as quietly as possible with her aching muscles and strained breaths. Blake grabbed his shoulder and shook it urgently. His eyes fluttered open and went wide. He immediately lunged for the small knife concealed under the small desk next to his bed. Tucking it in his belt, they both ran to the door. Bursting through, they sprinted side by side down the hallway, around corners and through doors. A large number of heavy footsteps following them. Blake spotted the small door on their right, only twenty meters away. Men in all black and oversized bulletproof vests came running around the corner, heading straight for them. More men dressed the same came into view from behind. They skidded to a stop, right next to the small door. Both groups of men advanced, blocking both ends of the hallway. Blake turned to the small boy next to her, she wrapped her arms around his thin torso. Grabbing the small knife still hooked onto his belt, she tucked it in the sleeve of her jacket. The men came to a halt about 5 meters away. Blake grabbed the boy's wrist and pulled him close, pulling him closer to the door.

"Come with us before you get hurt." A man somewhere in the middle of the group shouted raising his gun slightly. Blake answered by throwing the knife directly at the man who had spoken, hitting him in the middle of his neck. The men stared in disbelief at the falling man, now covered in the cloud of rich red blood. Blake sprung into action in those few seconds of shock. Ripping the door open and throwing the boy inside and slamming it shut. The men came back to their senses and raised their guns, all directed at Blake. She could hear a small sob on the other side of the door. She raised her hands in surrender and faced the man who had stepped forward. His face held pure anger and his hands gripped so tightly to the large gun, his fingers turned white.

"Don't move or I will personally shoot you," his voice strained and barely controlled. The sirens and flashing red lights stopped.

"Do not shoot her or I will pull your finger nails out one by one." A gangly man stalked though the crowd of overgrown men. His lazy grin showing enjoyment towards Blake's situation. The angry man lowered his gun and stepped back into the crowd with a defeated but still dangerous look. Blake lowered her hands and let them hang loosely by her sides, free to move if needed. Blake heard another soft sob coming from the door, she mentally screamed for him to get away from here, that she's not coming. She focused back on the gangly man in front of her, an evil smirk plastered on his face as his eyes darted to the small door. Blake's eyes went wide and a panicked look spread over her face, she covered it quickly, but not quick enough. The gangly man chuckled slightly and strode forward, heading towards the door slowly. Blake noticed the loose handle attached to the red metal concealing the small boy. In one quick, fluid movement, she jumped stomping down on the handle, breaking it free of the door. A small gasp came from the door.

"Leo, run!" Blake screamed. She heard a soft 'I love you' from the door and then banging footsteps as he started running down the small passage way to freedom.

"Now, Blake. Why would you do that? You now realise you have just inflicted more pain upon yourself. What caused that generous act of charity?" His now irritated voice echoed around the silent halls. Blake didn't answer, she only stared into the cold, hard eyes of the man only meters in front of her.