[Chapter Forty Three]

"Look!" Dwalin pointed out, the dragon's fire was just what they need to get those furnaces working. Thorin grabbed Freya's hand and got her away from the bar's that the dragon was now trying to break down. They had to act quickly, the pillar's weren't going to hold the dragon back forever. Smaug continue to snarl at them, while he pressed his weight against the gate trying to break it down.

"Bombur!" Thorin called out. "Get those bellows working. Go!" He ordered the dwarf. Bombur did as the prince ordered. He than turned to woman. "I need you to go up those set of stairs and pull that lever on my mark." She nodded and started running for the stairs.

"Bilbo. Come with me." She urged as she ran passed her cousin and the two hobbit climbed up the steps. Thorin did a quick scan to see the dragon was starting to break the pillar's down and he looked for the next person he wished to speak to.

"Balin! Can you still mix a flash-flame?"

" Aye. It'll only take a jiffy." He informed. "Come on!" He yelled to a few of the dwarves to follow him into one of the rooms they kept the supplies.

"We don't have a jiffy." Dwalin hissed, not agreeing with his brother's choice of words as the beast was just about in. One more push and he would be in. Smaug was now in and he searched the area, his chest already glowing, ready if he saw any dwarves that he could set on fire. Freya and Bilbo were just climbing the last flight of stairs to the lever.

Freya was the first to get onto the platform, the lever was just out of reach, she would have to jump just reach the handle. Bilbo looked behind him and saw the dragon was heading right in their direction, but it didn't appear that he had spotted them yet.

Thorin wasn't far away, standing in the open waiting for the beast to see him. Smaug was about to keep going when out of the corner of his eye, he saw the dwarf prince. He turned and growled at him.

"Now!" Thorin yelled. Freya jumped for the handle on the lever but she wasn't strong enough to pull it down.

"Bilbo help!" Bilbo grabbed the handle, pulling the lever just as the dragon was about to breathe fire when huge jets of water came shooting out of the carved faces in the wall and slam into Smaug, knocking him off balance and quenching the flames he was beginning to blow at Thorin. The dragon slides into the side of the furnace from the force of the water, and the glow in his chest disappears.

Roaring in fury, Smaug flaps into the air and begins thrashing about wildly. The jets of water cause a watermill to begin turning some gears, which causes the various rope conveyor belts to begin operation. Some of them are full of heavy chunks of rock and more.

Bombur continues going up and down on his chain, pumping the bellows and turning the furnace fire blue. Atop the furnaces, the solid impure gold begins to glow and melt. Smaug begins crawling towards Thorin once again. Freya and Bilbo begin to climb down the mound as Smaug continues to approach the dwarf.

Suddenly there is a flash of blue light on the side of his head. Balin, Ori, and Dori are throwing flash-flame bombs at the beast. However, Smaug is not at all fazed by them and continues to stalk towards them. Out of nowhere the rope of the conveyor belt full of heavy rocks, falls, dropping tons of rocks on the back of the dragon making him crash to the ground, roaring.

The gold atop the furnaces is now completely melted. Thorin runs over to one of the furnaces and pulls on a chain, opening a gate with allows the molten gold to flow out of the furnaces and through troughs built into the ground.

Smaug tangles himself in the ropes of the conveyor belt, thrashing about and hits the rope of the conveyor belt Gloin and Bifur are in, breaking it and knocking it to the floor, with them yelling and miraculously land on the ground unhurt. Beneath smaug rivers of gold flow through the troughs on the floor Thorin turns and begins running, shouting back at the dwarves.