[Chapter Fifty Three]

Morning had finally come. The sun was beating high above Erebor on this chilly day. Thorin had ordered everyone to come to the gate to see their visitors that stood before the mountain. Freya and Bilbo were standing with the dwarves. They had their armor on and their swords and axes near them. An army of elves now stood before their doors and Thorin looked on in disgust when he saw that Bard was with king Thranduil. As they got closer to the edge of the platform before the wall Thorin suddenly raised his bow with an arrow at the ready and released it. The arrow just skimming the leg of the giant stag and they stopped. " I will put the next one between your eyes." Thorin threatened, as he aimed another arrow at the elf king. The company shouting behind him, waving their weapons in the air. Thranduil looked up smirking and it quickly faded into a serious look, and the elf army all aimed their bows with arrows at the company. Freya, Bilbo and the dwarves all took cover except for Thorin who remained with his weapon still pointed at the elf king, the two of them glaring at each other.

Bard turned to Thranduil. Not wanting this to end in bloodshed. The elf raised his hand to signal to his troops to lower their weapons. " We have come to tell you payment of your debt has been offered and accepted." Thranduil stated.

"What payment?" Thorin demanded. I gave you nothing. You have nothing." he growled in anger.

"We have this." The bowman reached into his coat pocket and bulled out a shinny object and held it in the air for the dwarf king to see. Thorin lowered his bow and couldn't take his eye's off of the jewel in the bowman's hand.

"They have the arkenstone." Kili whispered, " Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house?!" he hissed. Thorin had remained quiet, thinking hard about this. How could someone take the arkenstone without his knowledge? It was inside the mountain, he had the gate rebuilt, the company taking turns being on watched so no one could get in. It had to be a fake. " That stone belongs to the king!"

"And the king may have it...with our goodwill." Bard declared as he put the stone back inside his coat. "But first he must honor his word."

" They are taking us for fools." Thorin said, speaking quietly. "This is a ruse. A filthy lie. The arkenstone is in this mountain! It is a trick!"He shouted.

"I-it's no trick." Bilbo spoke up. Freya turned to her cousin as he stepped to the middle of the company in front of Freya. " The stone is real. I gave it to them." Thorin glared at Bilbo angrily from the side before turning to him.

"We gave it to them." Freya stated, coming forward beside her cousin.

"You two?" Thorin said, clearly surprised, his friend would do this to him, but even more when the woman admitted it.

"We took it as our 14th share." Freya continued, meeting Thorin's eyes.

"You would steal from me?"

" Steal from you? No. No, I may be a burglar, but I like to think I'm an honest one." Thorin approached Bilbo even closer, his insides boiling as the hobbit continued. Freya was starting to feel scared of what Thorin could possibly do. " I'm willing to let it stand against my claim."

"Against your claim?" Thorin repeated as if the hobbit was joking. " Your claim. You have no claim over me, you miserable rat!" Thorin yelled, tossing his bow to the ground as he started to come towards Bilbo. Both Freya and Bilbo jumped at the sound of the anger in the kings voice.

"I was going to give it to you. Many times I wanted to, but--,"

"But what, thief?" Thorin sneered.

"You are changed, Thorin. The dwarf I met in Bag-End would never have gone back on his word. Would never have doubted the loyalty of his kin!"

"Do not speak to me of loyalty." He hissed coming even closer when Freya couldn't allow something to happen to her cousin and she stepped in between them, making Thorin stop.

"Thorin please don't do this. We didn't do this to betray you." Freya pleaded, taking a step closer to him, trying not to show that she was scared of him.

"And you. How could you do this to me? I trusted you!" Thorin shouted at her, feeling even more betrayed by her then the burglar. Thorin caught sight of the necklace that he had given to her and reached for and tore it from her neck, and the woman let out a startled whimper. " Lock her in the dungeons!" He ordered his men and looked at her. " I'll deal with you later. And throw him from the rampart!"

The king looked around at his men and saw they hadn't moved to take the two hobbits." Did you not hear me?!" Thorin shouted, grabbing his oldest nephew who yanked himself out of his hold. " Fine. I will do it myself then!" The king charged at Bilbo.

"Thorin no!" Freya screamed. The woman shoved her cousin out of the way, and the dwarf grabbed her by her clothing and began dragging her over to the edge.

"Curse you!"

"No!" Fili and Kili shouted trying to loosen their uncles grip on the woman, but he shoved them both aside.

"Cursed be the wizard that forced you two on this company!" Thorin uttered as he had the woman on her back, half over the edge, whimpers escaping her lips as she stared Thorin in the eyes, her face full of fear.

"Thorin don't do it!" Bilbo shouted, fearing for his little cousins life. Suddenly the sound of Gandalf's voice roared as he came through the army of elves up to the platform where Bard and the elf king. Urging Thorin to let them go unharmed.

"You're not making a very splendid figure as king under the mountain, are you, Thorin, son of Thrain?" Gandalf proclaimed. The dwarf king loosened his grip on Freya and she slide to ground Fili and Kili got away from Thorin when they saw how shaky she had become. Bilbo right beside her as Bofur urged both them to leave now before it was too late.

"Never again will I have dealings with wizards...or Shire rats!" Thorin shouted in anger. Bilbo was the first to climb over the wall and then Freya. She looked back at Thorin for the last time before she made the climb down the wall where the wizard stood.

" Are we resolved?" Bard asked. "The return of the arkenstone for what was promised?" Thorin looked at the bowman before glancing towards the hill as if he was waiting for someone.

" Why should I buy back that which is rightfully mine?" Thorin challenged as he continued to pace around still looking around.

"Keep the stone. Sell it. Ecthelion of Gondor will give you a good price for it." Thranduil taunted.

"I will kill you!" Thorin shouted in fury. " Upon my oath, I will kill you all!"

"Your oath means nothing!" The elf shot back. " I have heard enough." Thorin glanced over the wall to see the army of elves aiming their arrows straight at the dwarves.

"Thorin, lay down your arms. Open these doors. This treasure will be your death." Gandalf warned as he approached closer.

"Sire, we cannot win this fight." Balin pleaded. Freya watched as he struggled to decide what he thought was right.

"Thorin, please." Freya begged. The dwarf king turned to look at her as she searched his eyes but his expression was unreadable.

"Give us your answer. Will you have peace...or war?" Bard questioned. Suddenly a raven flew overhead and landed right on top of wall in front of Thorin. It began squawking like it was telling him something.

"I will have war." Thorin hissed. Freya closed eyes looking at the ground. When they heard something coming over the hill side and saw it was dozens of soldiers marching towards them.

"Ironfoot." Gandalf muttered lowly.