Clary's Reality

Clary was sitting in the grass of Central Park, overlooking the lake where at the moons peak you could enter the faerie realm. Sebastian, her brother, was beside her lounging in the grass, likely asleep. They spent most of their days together in central park because it was so peaceful compared to the rest of the city. It was more like the home they had grown up in together. Out in the countryside of Alicante; there were always birds chirping and cicadas humming.

“Do you think the mundanes will ever notice the world around them?” Clary always wondered things about what could happen in the future of the Shadowhunter World. Things would be much different if the mundanes knew about the existence of demons and those who protected them.

“Maybe, but why does it matter? They’re happy living without the knowledge of death lying right around the corner all the time.” Sebastian didn’t have the same thought sequence that Clary did but they still got along excellent.

“I suppose you have a point.” She smiled softly at him before taking out her sketch book and beginning to draw. Clary drew the same thing every time; a Shadowhunter boy with angel wings. She didn’t know where the image came from but it was always just there in the back of her mind.

“What are you drawing Clary?” asked Sebastian after some time.

“Just something that has been in the back of my mind.” Clary turned the paper so Sebastian could see her drawing. He looked indifferent about the whole thing and shrugged.

“It’s a nice drawing.” They went back to not talking while Clary worked away at her drawing and Sebastian worked away at his sleeping. Eventually they both gave up and returned to their house in near Little Italy. Their parents had bought it together as a vacation home and once they’re father passed away in a fire, Sebastian had convinced the Clave to let them live there as a family. For the past seven years they have made the best of it.

“What do you want for dinner? We can get Taki’s or I can make something for you.” Sebastian was taking off his coat and watching Clary carefully. She wasn’t feeling so hungry, more like upset. Every time they entered the house she was reminded of her father’s death. Sebastian sensing this, came over and pulled her into a hug. “He is watching over us wherever he is.” He looked into her eyes and hugged her tighter, comforting her.

His eyes shone when he looked at her, green as spring grass.

He has always had green eyes, said the voice in her head. People often marvel at how much alike you are, he and your mother and yourself. His name is Jonathan and he is your brother; he has always protected you.

Somewhere in the back of Clary’s mind she saw black eyes and whip marks, but she didn’t know why. He’s your brother. He’s your brother, and he’s always taken care of you.

“Do you know when Mum will be home? We could all go out for dinner.”

“She should be back soon if the note she left us this morning was accurate.” Sebastian pulled a note of his pocket and handed it to her. Sure enough it was written that her mother had some errands to attend to and would be back just before dinner time.

“We can wait and ask―” There was a knock at the door before Clary could finish and she went to answer it. As soon as she opened the door she recognized who was there, not by name, but by looks. It was the Shadowhunter boy she kept drawing.

“Thank goodness Clary you are here; I thought this was another dead end. Do you know how long you have been missing?” He looked relieved and panicked at the same time. Clary didn’t understand what he meant by missing. How have I been missing when I have been with my brother? she asked herself.

“Excuse me, is there something we can help you with?” Sebastian appeared beside her and was taking charge of the situation. He didn’t particularly like strangers and considering this one knew Clary’s name, he wasn’t going to let them stay long. Sebastian was protective and it was the way Clary liked it; it made her feel safe.

“Sebastian; I should’ve known you took her.” Who is Sebastian? Clary wasn’t following anything the Shadowhunter at the door was saying.

“Took who? This is my sister, you must be mistaken. No one here was taken so I would appreciate it if you moved on.” Sebastian was looking at the boy at the door with a burning hatred. For Sebastian it was something reserved for people who only were out to hurt her. Occasionally they would come and he would get rid of them for her safety. It was odd that he was merely telling the boy to go away.

“Clary please, you know who I am, don’t you. Sebastian is evil and he kidnapped you. You need to come back to the Institute with me.” The boy was almost pleading for her to think what he was saying is the truth.

“Clary do you know him? If she knows you, then she can go with you but if not, she stays.” Sebastian was making just as much sense to her and the random boy at the door was.

“I am sorry, but I do not know you.”

“My name is Jace―” Sebastian slammed the door shut which cut the boys cries off but the name Jace hurtled around Clary’s brain like a meteor. She remembered bits and pieces of a relationship that never was. It was like it had existed but in another time.

“You know I love you right?” asked Sebastian pulling her out of her thoughts.

“Of course, you’re my brother, you ought to love me and I love you too.” Clary was content with keeping her life the way it was. Her mother and her brother where there to keep her happy and safe.