Magnus's Party

Alec sat on the couch watching Magnus make decorations appear around their apartment. A bar appeared in one corner and a stage in another. Where he was finding all of these things to ‘take’ Alec wasn’t sure, but Magnus was happy so Alec was happy. Although, he wasn’t too happy about why Magnus was decorating; he was decorating over a party. The party was to celebrate Alec’s birthday but it wasn’t a day Alec wanted to celebrate. It meant that while Magnus was still his young self, Alec was getting much older. Who wants to celebrate a day like that?

            “Why do we have to have the party? You know how I feel about today. We could just spend the night together watching a movie.” Alec was trying everything possible to convince Magnus to cancel the party even though he knew it wouldn’t work. Everyone had already been invited and a lot of work had gone into the planning. This was a party for the books and Magnus was not in any hurry to stop it from happening.

            “It’s your birthday Alexander and we are going to celebrate it the way it was meant to be celebrated.”

            Alec gave up on arguing and convincing; instead he just lay back on the couch and closed his eyes. Their relationship had had its up and downs over the course of the past year but now everything had leveled out. They had been steadily dating and Magnus asked Alec to move in a few weeks ago. Now every moment they could spare was spent together and they both understood why. For Magnus life would continue forever but eventually it would stop for Alec and they needed to make the most of their time.

            “There everything is perfect besides you and me getting ready.” Alec opened one eye and looked around the room; everything was covered in glitter or lights. Instead of getting up, Alec merely shook his head and went back to thinking.

“Please will you get up?” Magnus walked over to Alec and knelt down before gently kissing him. “I know that you don’t want to celebrate but will you do this for me? Once the party ends I promise to spent the night with you the way you want.”

Not finding a way to retaliate against this, Alec got up. “What will I be wearing?”

“Let me show you. I found this fabulous suit while out and about; it’ll look amazing on you.” Magnus took Alec’s hand and helped him rise from the couch. Then he led him into their bedroom and to the closet where a suit was hanging on a hook. It was simple and black, quite like Shadowhunter gear and the usual clothing Alec wore. It was elegant and sophisticated without being too out there. Alec could actually see himself wearing it for the party. “I hope you like it.”

Magnus disappeared into the bathroom, presumably to get ready for the party. Alec took the suit of the hanger gently and changed from the clothes he had on, into the suit. It fit perfectly and there didn’t seem to be a price tag anywhere to indicate the store it was from. Alec then guessed that Magnus had the suit custom made; that was something he would avoid telling Alec as Alec preferred his sweaters and simple pants.

“You look amazing Alec,” Magnus told him while walking out of the bathroom with only a towel around his waist. This caused Alec to blush bright red.

“I could say the same about you,” responded Alec which a mumble. Magnus chuckled and started to get dressed, leaving Alec just to wait. Eventually after an hour of waiting and watching Magnus get ready, the party was starting.

Guests started arriving the moment of nine o’clock when the invitation said you could arrive. People started pouring in and Alec recognized almost none of them. They wouldn’t have come for his birthday; they came because it was a party hosted by Magnus. Everyone in the city who was a Downworlder or Shadowhunter knew about these parties and many attended. Strolling into the party slightly late came people Alec knew; Jace, Izzy, Clary, and the Daylighter.

“Alec! Happy Birthday!” shouted Izzy over the crowd as soon as she spotted him. She was dressed in a short silver dress that gave her the appearance of a disco ball, not that he would be telling her that.

“Thank you Izzy and I am glad you all came; I don’t really know anyone here.” They all looked around the room at the guests, trying to see if they knew anyone. All that returned to Alec were looks saying they didn’t. He was in a room filled with hundreds of people he didn’t know versus the very few he did know.

“Where’s Magnus?” Jace was looking around the room for the glittery host but Alec hadn’t seen him since he let the first guests through the door. Knowing how these parties go, he also wouldn’t be seeing him for the next few hours.

“I have no―” Alec was interrupted by a clinking of a glass that vibrated throughout the entire room.

“Everyone I would love to have your attention.” Magnus strode onto the stage he had placed in the corner earlier while decorating. “I planned this party for the love of my life Alec and it wasn’t simply just a party for the fact that I love him. It was a party to celebrate his birthday and in part, a party for something else. You will now find out what else.

At a party, quite like this, about a year ago I met Alec. He was here along with other Shadowhunters to help one of their own in a sense. His beauty and fragility caught me from the beginning. The night he showed up on my door asking me on a date was one of the highlights of my very long life. After that, things became difficult because Alec wasn’t ready to admit to liking me as being gay is frowned upon by the Clave. Eventually however, by the time of the battle against Valentine, Alec admitted to the whole entire Shadowhunter army who was in the Accords hall that he was dating me by kissing me out right. Most people were as surprised as I was.

After that time things began to settle down and we travelled parts of Europe plus other parts of the world together. It was a romantic time up until we got called back for Clave business and eventually the thought of one of us being immortal got in the way of our relationship. I regrettably ended that relationship at that point. Two months later, I showed up on the Institute steps and asked for Alec to take me back, willing to do anything for it. He agreed without hesitation and here we are today. In a happy relationship and not wanting to be apart from each other no matter what.

Alexander Gideon Lightwood, tonight on the night of your birthday, I have a question for you. As the love of my life, will you marry me?”

Everyone around the room gasped and turned to where Alec was standing. How they knew it was him, he didn’t know, but they were all looking. Alec was merely standing, looking straight ahead at the warlock who just admitted his love for him was enough to marry him. Alec was sure that Magnus hadn’t married anyone before.

“You need to say something Alec,” whispered Jace in his ear. Parabatai’s were always there to back you up even when the situation wasn’t a life and death battle situation.

“Y-y-yes, of course I will marry you.” A smile lit up Magnus’s face and he crossed the room quickly to pull Alec into a kiss. On his birthday where the day had started with the dread of getting older while Magnus didn’t; the day ended with Alec getting to marry the love of his life. It was a better birthday than he could have every asked for.