No Man's Land

Chapter Four: No Man's Land

"You don't understand. Me gonads, you ovaries." George told Izzie, Meredith, and I for the hundredth time as we all climbed out of Meredith's car, arriving at the hospital early on my first day back since my car accident. I had had a month off and, while I had enjoyed having that time off to spend with Joel, I was eager to get back to work. 

"Oh, that reminds me. We are out of tampons." Izzie told him. 

"You're parading through the bathroom in your underwear when I'm naked in the shower!" George shook his head, ignoring Izzie's comment.

"Yeah, about that, please don't do that when Joel's home." I told the tall blonde. "I really don't want to have to explain to my  five year old why there's a woman walking around in her underwear when he's not allowed to, again."

"Fine, whatever." She nodded to be before looking back at George. "Can you add it to your list, please?"

"What?!" George's eyes widened.

"Tampons!" Izzie reminded him. 

"To the list. It's your turn." Meredith pointed out. 

"I am a man! I don't buy girl products!" George yelled at all three of us. "I don't want you walking in while I'm in the shower, and I don't want to see you in your underwear."

"It doesn't bother me, okay?" Izzie shook her head. "Look at me in my underwear, George. Take your time. It's no big deal."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"You are the first person they see in the morning. You say please. You say thank you. You apologize for waking them up. You make them feel good about you." Bailey told all of us interns as we got dressed as she walked around the locker room. "Why is that important? 'Cause then they'll talk to you and tell you what's wrong. Why is that important? Because then you can tell your attending what they need to know during rounds. And why is that important? Because if you make your resident look bad, she'll torture you until you beg for your mama. Now get out there. I want pre-rounds done by five thirty a.m."

"Is it wrong that I've actually missed Bailey's threats?" I asked Meredith, earning a laugh from her.

"Nice to have you back too, Watley." Bailey said as she walked past me, leaving the locker room. 

"I'd better get good patients today." Meredith shook her head. "Yesterday I had two guys with colostomies who needed dressing changes every fifteen minutes."

"And I had a crying five year old who refused to put his pants on because he saw Izzie without hers that morning." I muttered.

"I'm gonna be in surgery. Today's my day." Cristina told us. 

"On what?" Meredith and I asked.

"Like I'd tell either of you." Cristina scoffed. 

"What do you know?" Meredith pressed.

"I know that I was here at four, and you two didn't get here till four thirty." She pointed out. 

"Tell me." Meredith begged.

"No." Cristina shook her head. "I'm not the intern who's screwing an attending. Nor am I the intern who has been home sick with a kid for over a month."

"I was in a car accident." I reminded her.

"And I didn't get to operate on you." She shrugged.

"I am not screw-" Meredith said as she followed her out of the locker room.