I Am a Tree

Chapter Twenty-Eight: I Am a Tree

"I told you to guard the door!" Cristina glared at Tyler as she stalked over to the nurses' station, looking pissed.

"I had a code blue." Tyler informed her as Meredith and I stood back and watched the two.

"I had parents walk in." Cristina said.

"We saved the guy's life." Tyler added.

"Whatever." Cristina rolled her eyes. "You know, I want my twenty bucks back."

"Sorry. Bought everyone coffee, to celebrate saving the guy's life." Tyler shook his head as he walked away.

"Yeah, I want my twenty bucks back." Cristina called after him.

"It's not Tyler's fault you're a dirty, dirty stripper." Meredith spoke up, causing Cristina to look over at us.

"You heard." Cristina sighed.

"Everyone heard." I shook my head.

"Stripper." Meredith smirked.

"Oh, oh, you're one to talk, sleeping with two men." Cristina fired back at her.

"Wrong. I'm not sleeping with either one of them." Meredith shook her head. "Not until I pick one. If I haven't made a decision by the end of the day, I'm flipping a coin. A girl can only hold out for so long."

"Oh, and somehow I'm the dirty stripper?" Cristina scoffed.

"Yep." I nodded.

"You three have time to round, or are you too busy getting naked on hospital property?" Bailey asked as she walked up behind us.

"I'd like to point out that I've never been naked here." I pointed out to Bailey as she walked away.

"No, I wasn't naked. I wasn't naked." Cristina shook her head as we followed after Bailey.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Ms. Seabury, what- what are-" Bailey shook her head as we walked into the first patient's room to find the woman sitting in bed with several different cakes, eating them. "No, I'm- I'm sorry, you cannot be eating."

"What is all of this?" Webber asked as he walked in behind us.

"This is chocolate raspberry soufflé cake. It is the best thing I've ever tasted in my life." Ms. Seabury pointed out the different cakes. "Except for maybe the banana cream torte there. It's pretty stunning, really. Bakeries deliver. Did you know that? Please, grab a fork."

"Ms. Seabury, you're scheduled for surgery this afternoon." Webber reminded her.

"We push the surgery a little." She said through a mouthful of cake. "Tomorrow, maybe? Oh, my God. You've gotta taste this."

"Ma'am, you have an aggressive form of lung cancer." Bailey told her. "The sooner we get you into surgery, the better your chances-"

"The better my chances of surviving." Ms. Seabury finished for her. "So I heard. It's all very aggressive. I mean, it's very...it's funny. I have never smoked a cigarette in my life. I have never smoked pot. I've never drank. Before today, I hadn't had a dessert in ten years. I am the picture of health, and I have lung cancer. I mean, come on. It's absurd, right? I'm sorry. I think I'm on a sugar high. I'm sorry."

"O'Malley, reschedule her surgery for tomorrow and get her a psych consult." Webber ordered once we were out of the room.

"Yes, sir." George nodded.