TEN

"I won't be able to meet up with you for another two to three hours. Will you be free then?" I ask, my phone trapped between my ear and shoulder as I sit on the edge of the bed. Finding matching socks I pull them up as I wait for an answer.

The deep voice on the other end sounds irritated. "Yeah, I'll be ready by then too."

"I'll meet you in Bachi Burger." There is a grunt that I take as an okay, before I hang up. Pulling the phone away from my ear I exhale deeply.

Detective Isaco Tucker works in the Las Vegas Police Department. Before I had gone home last night I had looked up the detective who had been in charge of Sara Mason's missing person case. Contacting the man had been challenging. I didn't blame him though, it's always annoying when you had someone looking into an old case of yours. But just because I understood his frustrations didn't mean I wouldn't look into the case personally. I need to know what kind of investigation he had conducted -- if anything had actually been done.

"You're not dressed yet?" Gil'a voice draws me from my thought. I turn around to look at him. He is talking about me not being dressed but he is just getting out the shower himself. He walks around the room drying his hair as he gathers the suit he is going to wear today.

"I was taking a call." I answer. Or maybe I am just delaying the inevitable. A part of me doesn't want to go to Bradley's funeral. I've buried too many of my friends over the years. It was a part of the job they say. Everyone who goes into law enforcement knows that you put your life on the line everyday. Cops die all the time. It doesn't mean that it hurts any less when you lose someone important to you.

"Can I ask you something, Drix?"

Gil has pulled on his boxers by now and I let my eyes shift over his slight frame. He is short, slim even. If he had been a girl people might have called him petite. I know there are wry muscles that cover his frame, and that even if he looks unassuming he isn't to be taken lightly in a fight. There is the shock of red hair against his pale flesh. The freckles that dotted his face traveled down the panes of his body. Green eyes, that remind me of a mysterious dark forest, scan me for a moment.

"Fire away," I say, even though my brows are pull down. Anytime he asks if he can ask me something I know I'm not going to like whatever question he has prepared for me.

"What the hell was that?" His voice goes from warm and light, to thin and hostel. I can take a few guesses as to what he is referring to.

"You'll have to be more specific," I tell him as I pull my other sock onto my foot.

Gil comes around to my side of the bed. His hands are crossed over his chest as he looks down his nose at me. He looks like an angry chipmunk. Of course if I voice this observation, he will likely punch me in the face.

"What the hell was up with the F-B-Fucking-I coming and taking me out of my shop yesterday?"

I sigh, knowing that this conversation is long overdue. He had been asleep by time I had made it home, but I had been able to tell something had been eating at him all through breakfast. I am impressed that he has held in his anger for this long.

"Pretty sure there's no fucking before the B and the I." I shrug it off but the glare on his face tells me he isn't joking around.

His frown deepens. "Get serious, Drix."

I sigh again, pushing my fingers through my hair. What does he want me to say? The FBI has the right to question anyone they think is involved with a case.

"I had no control over that." It isn't a lie. I hadn't wanted them to question the twins in the first place. "I didn't want them to bring you in. I'd rather have some proof before I call you and Galen liars."