SIXTEEN

Sitting at breakfast with Gil and Galen was as normal as sitting at Sunday dinner with my family when I still lived in New York. I've been so absorbed in the Prophet case it felt as if we haven't sat and ate with each other in a while.

My eyes shift to the twins. To someone looking in who didn't know them you probably wouldn't guess which was which. Even most of their mannerisms are the same. The way they ate, the looks they cast my way, the lies they tell.

I love Gil and Galen, they are my friends. Gil is my lover and Galen is an annoying brother-in-law I got saddled with. I care for them, I respect them, I would give anything for their happiness. So how long was I going to swallow it? How many times could I look at their smiling faces and know every word that past through their lips were utter bullshit?

Putting my fork down beside my plate I lean back in my chair. At the same time the twins look up from eating. Their green eyes find each other as if silently asking what's wrong before looking at me. Gil's eyes, that beautiful dark forest that I found myself lost in. Galen eyes were a lighter, they were more dangerous like a dense jungle you had to cut your way through.

"Is something wrong?" Gil ask, his hand reaches over and lay against my own. Nothing was wrong, yet everything was. This was the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. Could I do that if he kept lying to me. I've always separated my professional life from my personal life. With this case they both were two trains on a collision course.

"No," I lie as I push my fingers through my hair. "Well, yes. But I don't want to fight with you two." Plus when they both were here together they liked to team up on me. Maybe if it was one on one like how I confronted Galen this morning.

"Hendrix is upset because he thinks we are liars." Galen speaks up. There is a sly smile on his lips as he place his elbows on the table. Folding his hands together he rest his chest on top of them looking across the table at me. Gil eyes is like a second sun against my face.

"I don't think you are liars," I corrected Galen. He start to say something but I cut across him. "I know you are." I knew they were lying. Even the story he just gave me left more questions then answers. Gil sigh the hand that was touching mine squeeze around me.

"You say it like you think I'm the only liar at this table." Galen pout like a child as he cross his arms over his chest. My eyes shift between the two twins. No, he wasn't the only liar at this table. All three of us have told our fair share of lies over the thirty plus years we've been alive.

"Gil has already warned me of the dangers that comes with calling him a liar again. I like to sleep with both of my eyes closed and no threat of my throat being slit as I lay. So you're the only liar for now." I answer and Galen puff out his cheeks before he and Gil fall into laughter.

Shaking my head at the two of them I let out a sigh before smiling. In the last few days it seem like we haven't laughed enough. I felt slightly ashamed that I could smile, that I want to laugh at all. It's only been seven days since Bradley died. Only yesterday that we put his body in the ground. I shouldn't feel relaxed. I shouldn't be having a good time.

"Drix, really what's wrong?" Gil reach over to me. His fingers rest against my cheek. Grabbing his hand I hold it against my face. Turning my head slightly I press a kiss against his wrist. How could I even start to explain all of the tangled emotions inside of me. I feel Gil's thumb brush against me. His touch always soft and soothing. Gil knew that sometimes you don't need words. Sometimes you just need someone to crest your face.

"I was just thinking. About Bradley and some other stuff." I kiss his wrist again before pulling his hand away. "You don't have to worry so much about me." Gil shakes his head.