Chapter Five

Chapter Five

      “Glad you could make it!” Aiden said, opening the door for me.

      “Yup,” I nodded simply. He was looking me over, as a slight smile began at the corner of his lips. If I had been the old me, I would probably be wearing something strapless, short, and tight, right now. Instead, tonight I was wearing a simple, loose-fitting, sleeveless, dress with a dark floral pattern and black Converse. It was much more me.

      “You look nice,” he complimented.

      “I know,” I replied.

      “Want to go hook up?” he suggested as casually as he could.

      “No,” I shook my head, declining his less than enticing offer. “Is Chase here?”

      “Seriously? That’s so unfair! He gets every girl, and now he gets you too?” Aiden whined.

      “He doesn’t ‘get me’, he gets to talk to me.” Over the past week, I had learned that as irritating as Chase may have been, he was still good to talk to, and one of the only people who I felt even moderately comfortable around. But, don’t get me wrong, he was still annoying as hell.

      I brushed past Aiden, who wasn’t willing to move, and made my way inside the house. If I were Chase Ryan where would I be? Considering he needed to be the center of attention, my best guess was with a bunch of girls. I scanned the room, and, sure enough, Chase was sitting on a counter in the kitchen between none other than Emily and Taylor.

      They were dressed the exact way I expected. Tight, skanky dresses, and heals. I was glad I didn’t have an obligation to dress like that anymore. I didn’t feel like having to talk to them, so I stepped out to the patio. A couple was making out, there were some stoners, and a few smokers. I noticed a kid sitting alone, so impulsively decided to go over to him.

      “Hey!” I greeted in a friendly tone.

      “Jules,” he said, turning to face me. Thankfully, it was Logan. “You look good.”

      “So I’ve been told. Why are you out here all by yourself?” I questioned.

      “I don’t like crowds.”

      “Huh. That surprises me,” I commented thoughtfully.

      “Why are you out here?” it was his turn to ask something.

      “Avoiding these two girls with the first initials of ‘E’ and ‘T’,” I shrugged lightly. 

      “Huh. That doesn’t surprise me,” his words paralelled mine.

      “Julia?” a voice said behind us.

      “No,” I answered.

      “Oh, sorry—hey it is you!” Mason said, wrapping his arms around me, in a rather awkward attempt of a hug.

      “Mason,” I breathed.

      “You look beautiful!” he exclaimed.

      “Thanks.” It was the first time I was talking to him since our encounter on my first day. It wasn’t that I had been avoiding him, per say, but if he were walking towards me, I may just happen to walk in the other direction ...purposely.

      “Hey, Logan!” Mason said cheerfully.

      “Mason,” Logan acknowledged.