Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

      “Jules!” my mom called.

      “I’m coming!” I yelled, hopping on one foot, while trying to put on my shoe. I fell to the ground, and tightened the laces, neglecting to fully tie them. I stood up, glimpsed at myself in the mirror briefly, and deemed my outfit appropriate for the occasion. Ripped jeans, purple Converse, and a nice, plain, simple white T-shirt. Perfect. Not overly girly, and not too on the tomboy side. Best part about my outfit? It’s me.

      I opened my closet door in search of a jacket, so I wouldn’t freeze, and took the first thing I saw: a black sweatshirt. It wouldn’t add anything to the outfit, and it definitely wouldn’t upstage or ruin it. I thought about whether or not I was missing anything, and then it hit me. My phone. Yeah, I think that might just be an important thing to bring. I went over to my desk, and pulled it out of the charger in all its black shiny beauty, slipping it into my back pocket.

      “JULIA!” my mom shouted.

      “I’m not responding to that name!” I screamed back, turning the light off in my room, before rushing out. I sprinted down the hallway, and to the front room, only to see my mom standing there with Adam, and Trent, who looked very uncomfortable with the state at hand.

      “Finally! We’ve only been standing here for an hour,” Adam said, looking relieved.

      “Sorry, I couldn’t find my shoes,” I said.

      “Speaking of shoes, why aren’t yours tied?” my mom asked, looking down at my feet.

      “Because I didn’t feel like tying them,” I said. “Oh, and I may have been in a little bit of a rush.”

      “So you and your friend are going out together?” she asked, facing Trent.

      “Yeah,” I said, not sure of how she’d take it.

      “Need I be concerned?” She looked over to Trent doubtfully.

      “He’s a better driver than Adam,” I said.

      “Fine. The two of you- go! Be back no later than ten,” she said reluctantly, kissing me on the cheek.

      “Ew!” I said, wiping away the invisible mark the kiss had left on the side of my face.

      “Jules!” she scolded, giving me one her infamous looks that pretty much said, “Stop it!”

      “Whatever. Bye mom, Adam,” I said, going with Trent out of the house, and to his car.

      “Nice mom,” he commented, unlocking the doors.

      “Weird mom,” I corrected, going over to the other side, and climbing in.

      “Eh, all parent’s have their faults,” he said, getting in on his side. He started the car up, and drove off.

      “So where we going?” I asked curiously.

      “Somewhere,” he answered, turning to smile at me.

      “Both eyes on the road!” I said, pointing ahead of me.

      “Well aren’t you an educated little pedestrian!” he teased.

      “Thanks!” I said. “So really, where are we going?”

      “You’ll see,” he said, smirking at me once again.

      “TJ! Please tell me!” I begged.