Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

      “Jules!” Aiden yelled, running up to me.

      “What?” I asked, exhausted from the muscle intensive gym class I had just endured.

      I’m curious, whose idea was it to make kids climb ropes? Honestly, did someone wake up one day, and say, “Hey! I have a great idea! Let’s torture the younger generation and make them climb up a rope! Maybe they’ll even get rope burn, and a callus or seven!” I think the person who came up with this grueling task was either drunk, high, or both.

      “We need to talk,” he said, sounding serious enough. I don’t like that sentence. When it’s used in the context of a relationship, it always means something like a breakup’s sure to happen, or even in life, it’s used right before you get into some deep trouble.

      “About what? I’m sweaty, sore, and still recovering from being sick,” I said, beginning to walk away from him.

      “I need help,” he said, walking along side me.

      “Join the club,” I said, opening the gym door, as a breeze of air hit my bare skin, indulging it in the cool temperature around.

      “I did a bad thing,” he said.

      “Did ya? You, Aiden Heath, did a bad thing? Do go on,” I said, the sarcasm level of my voice rising by the second.

      “You won’t tell anyone?”

      “Nah,” I said, briefly debating it in my mind. I don’t tell secrets… anymore. When I was younger, my secret-keeping skills were not the best. If I got told a secret that would automatically mean that Taylor and Emily had to know it too. That’s how we were; the closest three could ever be…

      Now, I’m much better at keeping my mouth closed, and not blurting out something that was told in confidence. Besides, in my life right now, as sad as it may be, there’s no one I feel safe enough with, to trust… Well, maybe Adam… or not. Yeah, let’s go with not. 

      “You swear?” he tested.

      “Is this a courtroom?” I asked, tightening the ponytail my hair had been placed in.

      “Fine. Did you ever hear about the Katrina thing?” he asked.

      “Nope,” I shook my head.

      “Okay,” he sighed, “do you have a study hall next?”

      “No,” I shook my head, unhappy that math was the next dreary class on my schedule.

      “Fine. After school, meet me in the library,” he said.

      “Are you going to rape me?” I asked, thinking of how I would’ve laughed at my own joke if I had had the energy.

      “I’m not going to even answer that,” he said, shaking his head so his hair moved off the front of his face. That’s always been something I liked about Aiden; his hair.

      When I was younger, and Justin Bieber was starting to become popular, I was shamefully one of those girls who screamed anytime the mean mention of “J.B.” was spoken. I had the bracelets with his name on them, posters in my room, and all of his songs. But I’d have to say, my favorite thing about Bieber was his hair. The way he flipped it, and the way it always looked adorable. I liked boys with “flippy” hair.

      When I first met Aiden, his hair is really what drew me to him. He had the hair. His hair resembled Bieber’s, and I liked it. He was cute, and somewhat nice… at first. As I’ve somewhat reconnected with Aiden over these past few months, my favorite thing about him is still his hair. Yes, I did recover from “Bieber Fever”, but I still like the hair.