Chapter 9- Bathroom

The next day, nerves rattled through every part of Cassandra's body. She had stayed up all night talking to Liam about his plan. Even after all the chatter, she still felt unprepared.

Countless doubts floated through Cassandra's head, making her feel even more nervous. So much of the plan was counting on her ability to do everything right.

A huge yawn formed in the back of Cassandra's throat. Sleep in Queen Pandora's dungeon was minimal and insufficient for a day such as today.

Creak. The door opened and in stepped an older guard with their morning meal. Once he shuffled over to Cassandra's cell she cleared her throat and put the plan in action.

"Um, excuse me? I, was w-wondering if I could, uh, go to the b-bathroom?" Cassandra stuttered, putting on her best facade. "You see, I was t-trying to make do but I, uh, need to go clean up."

The guard's face flushed a deep red. "Of course, you can come with me."

Cassandra allowed herself to be led upstairs and down a hallway. She quickly washed up in the bathroom and picked up a tiny pebble before returning to the guard.

Once back downstairs, Cassandra nonchalantly dropped the pebble into the padlock's opening as she walked into her cell. The guard tried to lock it, but he didn't know that there was a minuscule rock in the way.

Once the guard left, Cassandra reached through and yanked down on the padlock. It offered no resistance as she took it off and stepped through her cell door.

"Liam! I'm out!" Cassandra called softly.

"Great! Just follow the rest of the plan and we might actually escape!"

Cassandra swiped the keys laying on the office desk and followed the sound of his voice.

Once there, she unlocked it and they headed straight for the air duct, which was conveniently stationed above the desk.

Planting her feet firmly on its surface, Cassandra reached up and unscrewed the cover. She motioned to Liam that it was off and then felt his hands on her waist as he boosted her up.

Cassandra crawled forward and waited for Liam to climb in. Once he was behind her, they awkwardly shimmied down the vent's length as it gradually inclined.

"I can see light up ahead," Cassandra whispered.

"Remember, once you get down, run out the door as quickly as you can. Don't wait for me."

It was part of the plan, but Cassandra hated the idea of leaving Liam behind. She reluctantly agreed and scurried onwards.

Almost there. Her hand and knees were aching, but seeing the end so close gave Cassandra a final boost of energy.

If Liam was correct, they should have ended up in a hallway near the second entrance. Queen Pandora's palace was built in the shape of a hollow square, so she had insisted on multiple entrances to make her life easier.

Silently, Cassandra kicked the vent open and dropped into the hallway. Once her feet touched the ground she bolted for the entrance and sprinted outside.

Light exploded into her eyes but she kept running. Outside was much brighter than Cassandra had remembered.

Liam's feet thudded behind her and Cassandra's heart kept in joy.

We made it! We're free!

With wind combing through her hair, Cassandra ran and felt happier than she had in months.