Ch. III

I don’t know what’s worst about this place; The fact that the food is God awful, Rachel following me like a lost puppy whenever we were able to socialize, or the fact that Miss. Pierce was still to this very day trying to get me to open up to her. It’s been three days and this was my life. I wake up, do my chores (which as a newbie I had to clean the damn bathrooms), eat shit, do my therapy, go outside, listen to Rachel’s mouth, go back in, sleep, go outside, eat, sleep. I hardly had any sort of quiet time because most of the day Miss. Pierce would be with me, and if it wasn’t her it was some nurse that followed me around until lunch and going outside with Rachel. 

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t mind Rachel so much if she didn’t talk so much or was all in my space. Half the time I would sit by the fence with her and she would do all the talking. She even tried to get me to talk to “George” at some point, but I told her it was best I didn’t speak to him. Since...well, I’m not fond of guys.

If that wasn’t bad enough, I even started to notice that boy watching every once in a while. Narrowing my eyes, I would turn my back to him and try to ignore him, but even then I could feel his gaze burning into my back. 

I’m sitting with Rachel who was eating a handful of grapes from our lunch-well, eating and talking. Looking over, I saw he was staring again. Narrowing my eyes, I peak over at Rachel who wasn’t paying attention and looked back at him. I stuck my tongue out at him like a spoiled child and he quickly looked away. 

“Oh my gosh...” I hear Rachel.

Turning to look at her, I see her cheeks were red and I quickly looked over and saw her crush walking over. I tensed. I did not want to that guy over here. He was tall and a pretty thin guy. His dark hair stuck up in random places like he had been messing with it but couldn’t get it to the way he wanted it. Behind his ear he had a cigarette tucked behind it, his eyes scanning around as he made his way towards us with his hands tucked in his pockets. 

He reeked of egotism.

It made me sick.

I look over and saw Rachel was slightly starting to fix her hair. Arching an eyebrow, I look up and saw the guy had stopped in front of us and looked straight down at me. A smile crept up across his face, his eyes growing slightly soft. “You must be the new girl that I’ve been hearing about. Ari Fisher, right?”

I don’t say a word.

Narrowing my eyes, I just rest my cheek on my knees and look away from him, holding my legs close to myself. 

“Oh, don’t be shy. I’m a nice guy, aren’t I, Rachel?”

“V-Very nice.” I hear her, but I don’t look at them. I just watch as a fly flew by, but the sound of someone moving right in front of me made me peak over. He was kneeling down, taking his cigarette from behind his ear and he sneaked a lighter from his pocket and lit it, lighting the butt. 

“Want one?”

“No, go away.” 

Rachel looked at me with wide eyes, but I don’t care. Why should I? Just because she worshipped the ground this guy walked on, didn’t mean I had to. 

“Oh sweetheart, don’t be like that. I only want to be your friend.” I could hear the amused tone in his voice, and it only made my blood boiled. It was the same tone Josh used every night. That cocky tone that gave away that he had so much hidden meanings behind it. 

I can feel my nails slightly digging into the back of my other hand. 

Trying so hard to keep my calm, but I could smell his sweat and the smoke that burned off the cigarette.