Ch. XIV

We were able to figure out a plan to get into that file room in about a week. All was left was to set it all into place. We tried to keep it all on the down low-not wanting anyone to figure out plan out. Thankfully during our break, I slipped Sabrina a note to give to Michael. 

“Tonight is the night.”

Her and I parted during the break and I drew Miss. Pierce’s attention away from the fence by talking to her about crap that didn’t matter. The moment I saw Sabrina toss the note over to the other side of the fence, and Michael snatching it from the ground, I excused myself and went inside. 

We both agreed that we would meet at the bathrooms as soon as we got out of our rooms. She wanted to see if Maya wanted to help, but I couldn’t afford to have anyone else involved. No. I needed just Sabrina for this. 

So I go to my room, quietly looking around the halls and saw it was empty before I moved to the doorframe and looked at the lock, I knelled down and took a small napkin from my pocket and opened it up, a small marble that Sabrina was able to steal from one of the group therapy sessions, as well as a thin piece of gum unchewed. I quickly unwrapped the gum and popped it into my mouth, looking around and saw no one was coming as I chewed the gum until it was super sticky. I took it out and stuck it onto the back of the marble and slipped it into the hole in the door frame, so that when the doors are closed and automatically locked, the marble will keep it from locking. 

The moment night came, I closed my door and heard the lock trying to click tightly, but the marble actually did work. I grinned to myself, bit my lip and sat on the edge of the bed and waited for the right moment. I listened quietly, until I heard the whistling of the guard walking by. I thought I was going to be a lot more nervous doing this, but I wasn’t.

I felt more anxious to do it more than anything. 

Possibly because once I got my hand on Michael’s file I would be able to learn more about him. To learn those bits and pieces of the man behind the mask is what drew me into wanting to do this more and more. Yes, I wanted to help him, but at the same time I wanted to know more about him. 

Standing, I turned and fixed my blankets and pillow, rolling the blankets up to fit my size and snatched the pumpkin from the windowsill and put it on my pillow, pulling the blanket up a tad to cover it up a little and I moved away from my handiwork. 

I moved to the door and quietly pulled the door open, peaked out into the hallway. 

No one.

My eyes quickly darted up to the security camera, which was aimed at the other way. I slipped out, quietly closing the door behind me and tip toed all the way to the bathroom. I could hear the soft sounds of sobs in the rooms, some I could hear yelling out every once in a while from different parts of the hallways. The sounds making my heart race so fast, and I could hear my breathing picking up. 

When I heard footsteps in the distance, I froze up, looking around but couldn’t see anything. I started to turn the hall, only to slam into someone and gasped and staggered back. I though my heart was going to burst out of my chest until I saw it was Sabrina. “Sabrina?? You were suppose to meet me in the bathroom!” I hissed, holding my chest and trying to calm my nerves.

“Sorry.” She whispered. “The guards kept lingering around my room. I just now got away.”

“You really need to walk quieter.” I told her, and looked around until I saw a shadow to our left. I quickly grabbed Sabrina’s hand and dragged her away and the two of us ran down the hall, I started to turn but when I saw a couple of the male officers, I quickly jumped back and yanked Sabrina back with me. I held my finger up to my lips to shush her and she quickly covered her mouth to keep herself quiet. With our backs against the walls, we listened.