Trading Lives [3]

The feel of lips on my forehead awoken me from my restless sleep. My eyes remained closed for a long moment until I finally gained the courage to open them. A tall man made his way over to my door. He wore a black t shirt with a leather jacket. There was a bloody gash on the back of his head.

I stared at him, confused. Wait… That jacket looks oddly familiar. I swear I used to be close to someone that wore that jacket everyday-

My eyes widened. “Dad?” I whispered.

The dark figure froze where he was. I waited for him to turn around, but he just stood there. As I began to stand up, he quickly walked out.

“No!” I cried, rushing out of my room after him. I glanced around frantically for him. Tears began to form in my eyes.

I hurried downstairs, looking in every room. Where the hell did he go?!

I entered the dark kitchen quickly. My hand found the light switch and I turned it on. I turned around to see my brother on the counter, eating some ice cream.

I screamed, not expecting to see anyone in here. He screamed too, throwing the ice cream in the air. The ice cream came out, landing on both of us. The sticky, wet substance ran down my hair and I groaned.

  “What the hell Chelsea?! Jeez, are you trying to scare me to death?!” Jared cried, running his hand over his face that was covered in ice cream.

“Me?” I spat. “You’re the one sitting here in the dark like a creep. What was I suppose to do?! Sing about rainbows?!”

He rolled his eyes. “What are you doing up this late?”

I crossed my arms over my chest. “I could ask you the same thing.”

He shrugged as he plopped off the counter and went over to the paper towels. “I had things on my mind.”

I sighed. “Me too.”

He tore off some paper towels and walked over to me. “I imagine so.”

Before I could respond, I saw that Jared had a black eye. “What happened to you?” I shrieked.

He handed the paper towels to me. “Calm down. Sebastian and I had a bit of a disagreement.”

“Disagreement?” I snorted. “When did this happen?”

“When you ran out of the school. No one does that to my sister and gets away with it. Not even the-” He cut off, looking down at the floor.

“Not even the?” I urged.

“Nothing. It wasn’t a huge fight. I just caught him off guard. For some reason, he let me beat the crap out of him.”

“I saw him earlier this evening and he didn’t look hurt.”

He shrugged again. He looked as if he was hiding something.