Trading Lives [7]

After seeing my sister and father dying, I couldn’t sleep. I stayed in my bed and cried my eyes out. Pete stopped by and comforted me till it was time to get ready for school. He suggested that I stay home and I agreed. I didn’t feel like dealing with Kim pestering me about Sebastian and the other kids crap.

        I walked downstairs with my blanket wrapped around me and entered the kitchen. I almost smiled when I saw that Jared had already cleaned the ice cream up.

        “Just wanted to let you two know that I’m staying home today. I’m not feeling very well.” I said, ignoring Mike’s stares.

         Mom and Jared looked up with concern in their eyes. “You alright sweetie?” Mom asked.

        I faked a cough and rubbed my nose. “Yeah, I’m just not feeling well to go to school.”

        I watched as Jared glanced over at Mike for a second and an angry look crossed his face.

        “It wont hurt to come to school-” Jared began, but I cut him off.

        “Jared, I have had a very rough night. I’m pretty sure I don’t want to go to school.” I snapped and instantly felt guilty. I’ve never raised my voice with Jared before.

        Before anyone else could say anything, I quickly retreated back to my room. I really wasn’t up for answering their questions, especially when I don't know the answers myself.

        “Look’s like I’m staying home…” I told Pete and got back into bed.

        He lied beside me and frowned. “Talk to me Chelsea. What’s bothering you?”

        Tears began to fill my eyes. “I saw them die…”

        “Who?” He asked.

        “Stephanie and my dad.” I answered. “Stephanie died instantly. And my dad…” I choked on a sob. “I watched his flesh being ripped off of him by animals…”

        He wiped away a stray tear from my cheek. “Animals?” He asked softly. “What kind of animal darling?”

        “Wolves.” I whispered, closing my eyes. “Humongous wolves.” I began to sob and I snuggled closer to Pete. “It was the most terrible thing I’ve ever seen.”

        He rubbed my back soothingly. “Ssh… I know babe. They can’t feel the pain any longer though.”

        I didn’t reply. I just held onto him tighter and sobbed harder. After I calmed down a bit, I fell into a peaceful sleep.

       “Wake up my little niece.” I heard a voice whisper into my ear.

        My eyes shot open to see Mike lying on his side close to me. I felt a cold finger stroking my outer thigh and I immediately scooted away.

        “M-m-mike? What are you doing in my bed?” I stuttered and hurried off the bed.

        He watched me in amusement and lust. “Are you scared Chelsea?”

        I gulped. “I didn’t plan on waking up to my Uncle lying beside me on my bed.” I said a little bit too sarcastically.

        He slowly got off the bed and began walking closer to me with a look only a predator could have with its prey. “Your brother isn’t here… and your mother isn’t either. Your mother really wouldn’t make a different though. She is only human…”