Trading Lives [5]

“I can’t believe it.” I breathed as I stared at myself in the mirror.

My usual plain brown hair was now perfectly straight with just the right amount of volume. My lashes are full and long around my bright blue eyes. The cheerleading uniform hugged my form perfectly. I began getting more nervous when I saw that my breasts are now very noticeable.

“Kim, I don’t know about this.” I said, sitting on the bed in a daze. I’m not prepared for so much attention from the males.

“Don’t be.” She shook her head and put an arm around me. “Everything will be okay. Now you can show them what they have been missing.”

“Do people watch the try outs?” I asked.

She snorted. “Yeah, there are a lot of people. They all come to see who’s hot, who’s good, who’s bad. Sometimes we even get the audiences opinion.”

I gulped. “Oh God Kim. I’m going to suck! They all think I’m ugly-”

“Are you kidding?” She said, taking her arm off me and stood up. “You’re beautiful! Have you not seen yourself? I’m even jealous.” She took my shaking hands in hers. “Listen to me Chelsea. You have got to start thinking more positive and quit putting yourself down. Just listen to me. You. Are. Beautiful.”

I took a deep breath and nodded slowly. “Thanks Kim. I think I just lost it for a minute.”

She grinned. “That’s what my duty is as a best friend. Now let’s go! It’s at five.”

We rushed downstairs and my mom looked up from her magazine. Her eyes landed on me and they instantly bugged out.

“Chelsea? Is that really you?”

I blushed and scratched my head nervously. “Yes, its me mom.”

She smiled and walked over to me. “You’re…beautiful hunny. Absolutely beautiful.”

I smiled and finally felt proud of myself for making her happy.

“Doesn’t she Mike?” She continued, still staring at me with a huge smile.

My smile disappeared as Mike walked out of the living room. His eyes roamed over my body, stopping at my breasts and legs. My mom didn’t know he was giving me these looks since he was behind her.

“Um… let’s go Chelsea.” Kim suggested.

“Bye mom.” I said in a low voice and hurried out the door.

“At first, I thought that man was your dad. Is that his brother or something?” Kim asked as we got in her car.

I leaned my head against the head rest and sighed heavily. “He is my Uncle. But I don’t claim him anymore.”

“I understand why.” She said. “He was checking you out.”

“Kim, I really don’t want to talk about that bastard.” I said.

“So.” She changed the subject. “Imagine how Sebastian’s going to look when he sees you.” Kim gushed. “When he does find out its you, he’s going to regret what all he said to you.”

“I know. Guys that used to make fun of me are going to want to go out with me. I’m not giving them a chance.”

She smiled approvingly. “That’s right. They don’t deserve you.”

Once the High School came into view, my nerves got worse. The shaking increased no matter how hard I tried to calm myself.

As we were walking up the steps to the gym, she stopped me before we could open the doors.