Chapter 1: Let's Present Ourselves

Valerie's POV

Hello there, my name is Valerie and I live in Detroit, Michigan. I like it here... But it's too damn cold all the fucking time, for real, what's summer? Here in my city it always feels like winter, or autumn... When we are lucky.

I'm 23 years old and I study Art and Humanity at the Wayne State University of Detroit, just like my mom did. 

At first she was really disappointed of me because I wasn't going to be a doctor or a lawyer, but later when my uncle talked to her she changed her mind, by the way my uncle is pretty famous you know, his name is DeShaun, everyone knows him as Proof, or Eminem's best friend.

But I don't care about him being Eminem's bro, I just love my uncle, I even wish he was my father, he always understands me and knows exactly what I'm thinking. I guess that's maybe because both of us enjoy hip hop, watching classic movies, playing basketball and stuff, sometimes even Marshall (Eminem's real name if you did not know) comes to our house and we play as a team, it's so much fun, that's one thing that I'm going to admit. Even though he acts like a jerk most of the time when we're playing, he thinks he's LeBron James or something. 

Marshall is funny and crazy as fuck, but he's so down to Earth, that's the best attribute of him I guess, apart from him being the best rapper of all times, of course. 

Apart from that... So far, I'm enjoying my life, maybe cuss when I was little my uncle always told me that we have to live everyday like if it was our last one, because we never know when it's going to be our last day. 

It may sounds perfect, but I do have problems like every other girl of my age you know, and there's one thing that I haven't told you guys, maybe that's why I'm writing. Ugh, I'm just so sad right now because, today is the 3 year anniversary since my mother died, it was an accident that never should have happened. She was walking through the street with our dog Snoop when a drunk man ran over her, she died immediately, or that is what the doctors said to calm our minds. I was 20 years old, not a baby, but I definitely still needed my mom like any other child. 

Moreover, my parents were divorced, and my father didn't gave a shit when my mother died. On the contrary, my uncle DeShaun was so sad for the lost of her sister, we all were, except the asshole that I have as a biological father as I already told you.

Previous to my mom's death, when my parents got divorced and I was just fifteen years old, my mom and I moved to my uncle's house. Dad kicked us out of our former house.

The only "good" thing was that I only had to see my father twice a month, but those were the worst days ever. The thing is, that now I'm 23, and since I was 18 it's not an obligation for me to go to my dad's house twice a month. My mom and I hated him because when they broke up he kept with everything we had, so we ended up homeless, but thanks to our family especially my uncle, we could stay strong and with a roof upon our heads.

That's why now I'm so blessed to have a part of my family loving me, but my heart has been broken since my mom died when I was 20.

Since the accident, uncle DeShaun always tries to see me happy, he always gives me treats and stuff, but it's difficult you know, my mom was everything for me. Every 14th of each month we go to the cemetery to see her, me, Deshaun, Marshall, and all his children too.

Anyways, I love living with my uncle, my cousins are such a cuties, he has 2 girls and 2 boys, I know... He looks like a rabbit with so much children. Just a weird way of describing it, ignore me.

Well, the oldest one is 16 years old, it's a boy called Louis who always makes me laugh, then there's the other boy that's 15 years old, his name is Curtis, then there's an 8 years old girl called Tyra and a 3 years old girl called Nicole.