6; a little help

CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX.

The trees rustled in the wind as the inky water of the lake glistened in the sunlight. Avena Detroit sat underneath a large willow her charms homework laying around her. The excitement of the First Task had worn off by now and the students were once again focusing back on schoolwork. There were still several weeks before the second would even be announced. Her quill danced on the page as she paused reading her sloping script, her essay on water spells seemed to be going fine. Charms was one of her favourite classes, so she enjoyed herself as the sunlight fell onto her. A box of half eaten chocolate frogs lay next to her, she hummed a song pulling her hair out of her eyes. Draco had become excessively annoying the last few weeks, constantly pestering her, seemingly intent that she wanted him back. A small, small part of her did after all they'd spent so much time together it was depressing to think it had all gone to waste but she knew better.

"Well hello lovely lady," Cedric Diggory called out waving at her as she looked up at him a smile crossing her face, "I've come in need of your assistance,"

"If its about you Golden Egg that screeches I'll had to say I've got no new ideas," She shrugged her shoulders as he sighed sitting down next to her and pulling out the egg. He'd taken to lugging the egg everywhere incase some stroke of genius struck him. She looked at it distastefully, "Don't open the damn thing or so help me I'll kill you,"

"Don't worry," He held up a hand in defense, "I'm under strict instructions from Professor Sprout to only open it by myself. Apparently people don't like it,"

"No way," Avena snorted as he grinned tossing it up and catching it. She shook her head continuing on with her homework as Cedric inspected the egg trying to see if there was anything he had missed. He sighed placing it down and staring out at the lake, watching the shadows of the giant squid. Everything was quiet except for some rowdy first years who were playing a game. Both of them watched the younger ones quietly.

Avena glanced apprehensively over at the boy, self-consciously fixing her hair- today it appeared to have a mind of its own. The silvery clip in her hair sparkled with Slytherin colours, Draco had given it to her but she just didn't have the heart to throw it out. After all it looked so nice on her. There was a downside to wearing though, as whenever the boy saw it he'd smirk and begin telling everyone how it was clear she wasn't over him and only matter of time before they got back together.

"I worried," Cedric confided looking over at her, "That I want be able to crack this god forsaken before the second trial,"

"You have time," Avena said, not glancing up from her parchment, "I mean after all they wouldn't make it impossible to crack,"

"You're acting like you don't know who Albus Dumbledore is," Cedric sighed, "The guy is both a genius and an idiot,"

"God, you're such a Debby Downer," Avena scrunched up a page throwing it at the prefect. Which he caught putting shoving it in a bag, like the respectful caring Hufflepuff he was. He was by far one of the most stereotypical Hufflepuff she'd ever met, the exception being she actually liked him and he was good-looking. Avena also happened to be a very stereotypical Slytherin, which was deemed worse.

Absentmindedly Cedric toyed with her hand, watching as the silver ring on her finger sparkled. The news of their relationship had spread like wildfire. They hadn't hide it, but they hadn't flaunted it either. Of course the rumors about it grew larger and more hideous as the day passed but Avena couldn't have cared less. Their relationship wasn't scandalous like Margie Bitsons had said in the bathrooms or a love potion as one particularly annoying third year had suggested.

Cedric had said he wanted them to be friends first, originally Avena had laughed but she got it now. Whilst yes, she wanted more she also didn't want to be in a relationship with someone who wasn't sure. Why waste precious time, there was an abundance of wealthy gorgeous guys at the school.

"Okay what if it's morse code?" Cedric said suddenly.

"Two points," Avena replied holding up two fingers, "That's for muggles and it screeches so..."

"True," Cedric sighed rolling the egg between his hands, "Merlin, this is hard,"

"I don't think it supposed to be easy," She snorted shaking her head at the helpless boy sitting in front of her. Disgruntled he leant forward grabbing a chocolate frog before it could jump away. Avena stared at it thoughtfully, to her it was a stupid task. How was one supposed to figure out what it was saying with that hideous screeching. The first time he'd shown it to her, her eyes hadn't stopped ringing for what felt like centuries.

"Don't worry Ced," she patted his back awkwardly making swirling patterns.

"I'm not Ave," He replied. She raised an eyebrow at the nickname, not having heard it for some time. Her later grandmother had used it but never anyone else. It was always Avena Detroit, and if someone was feeling adventurous then maybe just plain old Detroit. She mentally kicked herself for acting as if the use of a nickname meant more than it actually did.

"Avena," He waved a hand in front of her face, "We're discussing the doom of my fate,"

"Don't worry," A small laugh escaped from her lips, "I'll come to your funeral,"

"Gee thanks," He shook his head, his grey eyes lightening up as he took in the large smile on her face, wanting to imprint it in his mind.