14; purple quills

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN.

"Look Ave I love you, wholeheartedly but its freezing cold and we've been standing outside this Quill shop for ages," Cedric complained shoving his frost bitten fingers into his jacket trying to generate some sort of warmth. Hogsmeade was still bustling even with the snow storm swirling around outside, each and every cafe and bar over flowing.

"For a Hogwarts Champion you're a wimp," she replied dryly tugging her knitted read beanie over her ears, the small strands of her black hair that weren't hidden were frozen.

"Do you really need a quill right now?" He complained trying to hint to her that he wanted to go the Three Broomsticks. Avena held up a hand still gazing intently at the quill's deciding that she quite liked the dark purple one. She shook the snow off her before opening the door, the bell tinkling melodious.

It was warm and she immediately wanted to stay in the bright little shop. It was called Warren's Quill Emporium and had some of the most beautiful and weirdest quills she had ever seen. Cedric raised an eyebrow as he picked up a book about the best feathers and spells for quills. She picked up the purple quill twirling it around in her fingers quietly. Ever since she had first started at Hogwarts she'd had a little tradition where she always had a purple quill to use during an exam. Given that she was no Hermione Granger Avena saw it as her own version of a rabbit foot.

"3 Galleons," The wizened man said extending his hand out as she dropped the shiny gold coins into them. She placed the floral wallet in her pocket along with the carefully wrapped quill. Then she placed her hand in Cedric's one tugging for them to leave.

"Can we go to Three Broomsticks now?" Cedric asked as he wrapped his scarf around his neck bracing themselves for the cold. She nodded and he grinned leaning forward to kiss her cheek. She blushed lightly swatting him away with her mittens. That Cedric Diggory made her feel some type of way.

The purple quill she had gotten danced across the page as she copied down Snape's notes from the chalk board. In almost every class Avena found herself sitting next to Hermione Granger, they barely ever talked but considering Avena didn't exactly have many friends, the few Slytherins that hung out with her were merely to gain status, having some one to sit next to was nice. Hermione Granger didn't mind that much either for she didn't mind Avena, she was still very much stuck on the notion that Avena was in fact a good person. And she knew that while Harry himself wouldn't admit it he too thought she was actually kind of cool.

"The final task's next week," Hermione said frowning at her messy notes. Avena nodded, they had now been informed that it was in fact a maze, it had been grown on the Quidditch pitch (something that had lead to many annoyed players).

"I bet there's a catch," Avena replied, "A maze would be to easy,"

"Well I know Harry's in no way prepared," Hermione murmured tilting her head towards the messy haired boy. The statement caused Avena to snort, "Has he ever been prepared for any of the tasks? I have it on good knowledge that someone's given him the answer for all of them,"

Hermione nodded, "The boy would be lost without me," she flicked her bushy brown hair causing Avena to flash her a toothy smile. "Glad someone admits it,"

Hermione fell quiet glancing over at her two friends before leaning over towards Avena had whispering something quickly, "Can you keep a secret?"

"The questions more can you trust me? She tilted her head twirling the purple quill between her fingers. Hermione rolled her eyes taking the answer as a yes, "Listen Detroit, what I'm about to tell you is in strict confidentiality okay?" She didn't wait for a reply launching into a fast whisper, "A few days ago Harry found Barty Crouch Senior dead,"

"I already knew that," Avena replied, Barty Crouch Senior was one of the Ministry Officials sent to watch the games (and a real piece of work at that).

"Yeah well he didn't die of a heart attack like the Prophet said did he?" Hermione replied holding up a hand and continuing on with her story. Avena rolled her eyes not knowing why Hermione was even choosing to tell her all of this. "So Harry went to Dumbledore's office and while he was waiting he found this pensieve and inside was Dumebledore's memories right-"

"And let me guess, Harry Potter being the annoying little snoop he is took a look?"

"Yeah but that's not it, he saw all these trails for a bunch of deatheaters right," she paused looking around the room whilst Avena hoped furiously that her parents weren't about to be mentioned. "And Igor Karkaroff.... You know Durmstrang Headmaster confesses and names loads of them. The list goes on right... Snape, Malfoy, your parents and then Barty Crouch Jr."

"You're telling me that the world's snobbiest, pretentious ministry of magic official's son was a Deatheater?" Avena snorted, "God that's bittersweet,"

"He's dead," Hermione continued, "Died in Azkaban,"

Avena let out a deep breath shaking her head, "I don't know Hermione, Voldemort's followers were a lot smarter than anyone can give credit. That's why so many of them are still large,"

Hermione Granger shrugged copying down the notes on the board absentmindedly picking up Avena's quill. The purple feathers looked quite a bit darker in the eerie glow of the dungeons.

NOTE:

So _mavericks sent me this cute pic at the top saying it was Cedric and Avena and I just.... It's so cute and I can imagine them doing it so :-)