18; parting sorrow

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN.

The only colour in the entire room was found on Avena. The girl sitting in the front row of a depressed school wearing a bright yellow Hufflepuff scarf. She sat straight backed no longer trembling for she no longer wanted to look weak in front of the flocks of students. No one spoke watching Albus Dumbledore stand in front of them, his white beard looking grey.

"The end," said Dumbledore, looking around at them all, "of another year."

He paused scanning the rows of students, stopping at the hoard Hufflepuffs and then Avena's own sad pale face.

"There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight," said Dumbledore, "but I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here," he gestured toward the Hufflepuffs, "enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your glasses, to Cedric Diggory."

The chairs scrapped as they were pushed along the ground as everyone in the Great Hall stood raising their goblets into the air. And in one loud yet low voice said, "Cedric Diggory,". Tears poured down her face silently as she sat down with the other students her hands curling into tight fists.

"Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff house," Dumbledore continued his eyes dull and his voice echoing their own sadness. "He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about."

Avena raised her head locking eyes with Dumbledore for a second before looking way quickly letting out a shaky breath.

"Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort."

A panicked whisper swept through the crowd as the words left his lips. Most of the students were staring at him opened mouths in a mixture of disbelief and horror. Dumbledore himself was completely calm but the way he had said it made her believe him, completely and whole heartedly believe him.

This mass paranoia didn't stop Dumbledore and he continued, "The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so - either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as the result of an accident, or some sort of blunder of his own, is an insult to his memory."

He was right, of course Dumbledore was right. But Avena could no longer look at him instead staring over at the unruly haired Harry Potter's whose eyes were trained on the ground. Anger radiated off him but all Avena could think of was of the previous day when she had Harry had just sat by the river in silence letting the tears fall.

"There is somebody else who must be mentioned in connection with Cedric's death," Dumbledore went on. "I am talking, of course, about Harry Potter."

As he said this Harry looked up glancing over at her briefly and guiltily. She gave one slow nod at him before turning her attention back to Dumbledore. She was one of the only students who was not phased by what he had said. For while Harry hadn't told her she had almost expected it.

"Harry Potter managed to escape Lord Voldemort," said Dumbledore. No one seemed surprised by the statement, a few students even looked angry. "He risked his own life to return Cedric's body to Hogwarts. He showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort, and for this, I honour him."

Gravely he turned to the Boy Who Lived and raised his goblet for a second. Many followed suit and so did Avena but to honor Harry but Cedric. Murmuring his name along with the others and taking a sip. She let out a sigh sitting down and dropping the gold cup with a drop. She wanted nothing more than to run away and curl into a ball somewhere safe and anyway from anyone. She'd seen the pitying glances sent her way, she'd felt the enteral sadness following her around like a dark stormy cloud.

After everyone had sat down and the soft whispers of sorry had died down he continued. "The Triwizard Tournament's aim was to further and promote magical understanding. In the light of what has happened - of Lord Voldemort's return - such ties are more important than ever before."

To Avena it seemed trivial that they were talking about it now, for all she wanted was to toast to Cedric's memory and go to sleep.

"Every guest in this Hall," said Dumbledore, looking at the students carefully, "will be welcomed back here at any time, should they wish to come. I say to you all, once again - in the light of Lord Voldemort's return, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided. Lord Voldemort's gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust. Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.

"It is my belief - and never have I so hoped that I am mistaken - that we are all facing dark and difficult times. Some of you in this Hall have already suffered directly at the hands of Lord Voldemort. Many of your families have been torn asunder. A week ago, a student was taken from our midst..."

He stopped and as he did Avena let out a breath. Behind her a small second year patted her back kindly. She raised a hand to her face wiping away the tears and snot. Dumbledore seemed to wait until she had collected herself before he continued in a softer voice.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."

And Avena knew she forever would.

NOTE:

So all that is left now is the Epilogue which is just wow.