7; frenemies

CHAPTER SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN.

Potions was never her favourite subject. If the dark, dripping dungeon classes wasn't enough of a reason she had plenty more. She liked Professor Snape but was the first Slytherin to admit that he did in fact favour them. Then there was the fact that the class also happened to be with the ever so lovely Gryffindors, which meant snide comments from Potter and his little sidekick Ron and Hermione Granger answering ever godforsaken question asked. But the worst part was Draco Malfoy, always insisting that they should be partners, always touching her shoulder and whispering thing into her ear. He seemed to be under the impression that she wanted that slimeball back.

Avena was late, running down the steps to the dungeon trying to fix her hair. Oversleeping had always been one of her flaws and due to Pansy being the bitter girl she was, no one had woken her up. She pushed open the large oak door into the dark, grimy room causing the students to look up. Snape glanced up lazily seeing it was her and choosing not to address her. Draco straightened ready for her to come over to him but she sent him a cold glare and stalked over the Hermione Granger who was standing at a cauldron by herself.

It caused a few whispers from the other students as Avena's dislike for Hermione was well known. She slammed her books on the table and whipped around to flip of Draco. The statement sent a flurry of giggles into action as the prince of Slytherin's ears turned bright red and he turned to face the wall. Potter and Weasley sent her appreciative looks whilst Hermione stood next to her awkwardly not sure what to do and for once in her life, apparently, speechless.

"Say a word and so help me I will hex you so badly," Avena held up a finger as Hermione opened her mouth. The bushy teen shook her head but Avena couldn't have cared less about what the annoying girl wanted to say. She opened the book glancing at what Snape had written on the board and riffling through for a page number. "It's page 23," Hermione said, knowing how illegible Snape's handwriting was.

"So why are you working with me," Hermione asked tilting her head to look up at the other girl expectantly. "I thought you didn't like it," Avena laughed looking up from the page at the ridiculous girl. Clearly this girl spoke what was on her mind without really caring. "I don't Granger," she raised an eyebrow, "But rest assured doing work with you is less painful than Draco. So don't make me regret this," Hermione Granger sent the girl an incredulous look, obviously annoyed.

"You know I refuse to believe that you're the bitch everyone says you are," Her tone was soft and her eyes were fiery. Avena coughed shaking her head, she was getting annoyed of this idea that Hermione seemed to have. Sure Avena had a nice side but she only let a selective few see it because that was the way she liked.

"For Merlins sake Hermione," Avena slammed the book shut, "We're not friends, we're not even aquantices. I have spent my whole schooling life making your life horrible. And believe I can make it worse because while people might think I'm bitch they are also scared of me. Fear makes people do crazy things," The smaller girl was smirked at the bushy haired Gryffindor who seemed slightly put off by her remarks.

The girls were quiet, working through the potion silently. Both were alone with their thoughts, Hermione thinking about the potion and what she had said whilst Avena was more focused on the Second Task. She hadn't talked to Cedric in three days, she'd seen him leaving the library once or twice always running around. He was smiling though, so she assumed that it was completely fine. Maybe, she thought seriously, he'd solved the golden egg. The thought made her smile as she mixed Dragon blood with essence of Manta ray.

"I still think you're okay,"

Avena looked up at Hermione. She had her head buried in the textbook, nose to paper as she squinted at the writing. Avena crossed her arms, her black hair slipping loss from its lackey, framing her face as she stared intently at the girl. "Sure you do. You're the great Hermione Granger," Avena straightened her position looking over at what she was reading, "That says goat heart,". Hermione nodded picking up the heart gingerly, as it still seemed to be beating and placed it on the craving board. She then took the carving knife as Avena continued to stir the pot.

"You don't have to be great to know that," Hermione continued the conversation, neither girls making eye contact. Avena smiled noticing how Hermione was looking anywhere but at her.

Her two friends were looking over at them and whispering, most likely badmouthing Avena and trying to work out what they were talking about. Harry Potter's scar seemed to glow in the dark lights against his pale skin causing Avena to stare at it for several seconds before looking away. The scar was something that many girls in their year found enticing, from what she could work out. More than once she'd walked into the toilets to hear a girl discussing it, talking about how she liked a guy with battle scars. It made Avena want to puke for she didn't look at it like a 'battle scar'. She knew the story as well as anyone and having death eaters for parents meant that when hers were drunk it became a loud topic. She hissed silently as some of the scalding potion sloshed around in the pot hitting her hand causing her to flex it as a small burn mark became visible. It caught her attention momentarily before she looked back at two thirds of the Golden Trio who were still talking and looking smug. Avena couldn't fathom how people could stand them, the three of them did whatever they wanted and got away with it. It wasn't fair and she knew she wasn't the only once to think that.

The bell rang as Hermione Granger scooped some of potion into a vial clucking her tongue as the mixture hissed. Avena raised an eyebrow almost certain that wasn't supposed to happen but Hermione Granger was brilliant at everything she did so she figured everything was okay. She watched the girl walk over with the labeled vial and place it in the tray stopping to whisper a few words to Harry and Ron.

"You know what Granger," Avena said picking up her books and tilting her head, "You're not that bad of mudblood,"

NOTE.

so i don't approve of calling other wizards 'mudbloods' and stuff and like i feel like a bad person whenever i make avena say it but i'm trying to show that she's like unaware of stuff like that.

ya get me?