34:Belle Witnesses a Secret

I still only own Belle.

Arabelle D'Ewes

There are sixty-seven reasons Belle can think of that explain why she should not be where she currently is.

Because it’s none of my business. Because I obviously wasn’t meant to be included. Because I don’t belong here. Because privacy is a gift that should be respected, to name a few. But still, they don’t stop her, not even in the slightest. And even though they don’t cease to ring in her mind like church bells, she holds her breath, stays absolutely still when needed, and follows Rose the moment she exits the dining-area. Rose leaves quickly, nearly tripping on her long skirts on the way out. Where could she possibly be off to? Belle hasn’t the slightest idea. All she does know is that Rose became rather antsy to get up shortly after Jack left, as if the two of them were sharing a silent secret. 

And Belle cannot rest until she knows what it is or, hopefully, can prove that she’s wrong, is really only being a nosy-rat, and there’s nothing going on at all.

But she doubts this.                            

Rose makes long-legged strides down the hallway, breathing heavily, and clenching and unclenching her tiny hands. The good thing about whatever’s got Rose so excited is that if keeps her completely unaware of her surroundings. Rose never looks anywhere but straight ahead, and for this, Belle is greatful. 

The hallways are long and winding, beautifully decked out in detailed carvings onto the walls beside her, and the sound of far off, sophisticated laughter can still be heard. The air smells of iced cakes and green tea, but the usually desirable aromas do not seem to be agreeing with Belle’s stomach. She’s so anxious to find out what Jack and Rose could be hiding that it ties a tight knot in the pit of her belly, making it twist and twirl in all sorts of undesirable positions.

Belle has never been a nosey girl. Not until now, that is. People always went along with their business and could do as they pleased without her snooping around, and she expected others to do the same when it came to her privacy. That’s always been part of the reason why she and Alexander got along so well. They respected each other’s privacy, never prying into the other’s personal life like many siblings do—not unless needed, that is. Alexander is always there when she needs him, yet always gives Belle her space. It’s one of the things she loves most about him.

If only he could see me now….She couldn’t bear to see the look in his large eyes if he actually did see her. She doesn’t want to picture his stern face. The one that pinches his eyebrows and brings his small mouth into a heavy frown. Then what would she do?

Rose stops, finally, at the end of the grand staircase. Belle is so deep in thoughts that it takes her a moment to stop, as well. She hides quickly behind a secluded corner to the right of the stairs, where she can still stick her head out and see everything, even though everyone cannot see her, and this makes Belle think of angels.

She watches Rose’s shoulders rise and fall, and she watches her to start to move again. Only now her steps are much more slow and careful, as if she’s approaching a prince. Better than a prince, even—far better.

It’s Belle’s worst nightmare. She’s never been so sickened by Jack’s appearance. She’s never found herself wishing him away, with all her willpower, more than she is now. And for a moment, as Belle closes her eyes, she can’t help hope, hope so hard, that what she’s seeing isn’t real.

But it is, and Jack’s heavenly voice is what proves it. “So you wanna go to a real party?” It hurts more than anything to hear those lovely words directed at someone else. She wants to jump out from behind the corner and scream at him, tell him that he’s got it all wrong—he’s got the wrong girl. And she wants, more than anything she’s ever wanted before, more than straight hair or even her brother on this voyage with her—for him to believe her when she says so. She needs Jack’s arms to wrap around her small waste. She needs him to bring his gentle lips to her temple and whisper sweet nothings in her ear—reminding her over and over again that she’s all he’ll ever want and need.